seven

"Honey, could you take that?"

        I looked up from my phone to the sound of my mom's voice. She had her arm up with a finger pointing at the cereal box on the top shelf. I straightened up, pocketed my phone and headed towards her.

        "Thanks, honey. I can never understand why they put it on the top shelf," she said as I stepped up on the first shelf to reach for the Honey Stars. She took the cereal box from me, placed it in the cart then continued down the aisle, moving her head left and right.

        "It's not very popular, I'm guessing," I said, following behind her with the cart.

        "Well, it is to us," she said with a flick of her hair and I giggled. She picked up three bags of chips with different flavours and dropped it in the cart. We went from aisle to aisle in the grocery area and picked up a bunch of ingredients. I shivered a couple times when we got to the cold ones. By the time we got to the cashier, the cart was half full. Or half empty, for all the pessimists who would argue.

        My phone vibrated so I pulled it out and felt my heart beat a little faster. I frowned when I realised it was not who I thought it was.

Amanda     now
        I see you. Can we talk?

        I drifted my eyes around me. I never thought we would be at the same place at the same time. But then again, it was and always had been such a small world. I had never even left the city; I had been stuck in the same house since my mom gave birth to me.

        My eyes stopped at the figure sitting on a bench on the other exit of Walmart. She looked different. She was wearing a grey hoodie and black leggings with her hair tied up. Her eyes stared at me intently. I averted my gaze to my mother who was putting the groceries in the cart, slid my phone in my hoodie pocket and picked up the heavier bags.

        "Amanda wants to talk to me," I said softly after putting the last bag inside the cart.

        My mom was my confidant; I confided in her a lot and she always knew everything that happened with me. She was literally my best friend. I always kept her updated on my life, except for the one that happened with Amanda. The only explanation given was an extremely vague description that consisted of three words. She dumped me. I always asked for it not to be talked about.

        My mom gazed up at me, her eyebrows scrunched a little. "Are you going to?" She asked softly as she held the bar of the cart and started pushing it.

        "Do you think I should?"

        "It's up to you, honey," she said.

        I sighed, not liking the idea of making such a decision. I was completely caught off-guard. We continued down the path towards the exit Amanda was sitting by. She noticed us getting closer and closer, then stood up and waved nervously at the both of us when we were about three metres away. I side glanced my mom who had stopped, her mouth forming into an encouraging smile.

        "I suppose I'll meet you at the car?" She asked uncertainly. I nodded hesitantly, not really wanting her to leave me alone. However, it was inevitable. It was time for us to talk. My mom acknowledged Amanda before exiting the store with the cart. I cleared my throat before approaching Amanda reluctantly.

        "Thank you for-"

        "Can we do this outside?" I cut her off as I pushed my hands inside the pockets of my hoodie. She seemingly agreed since she started walking towards the sliding doors. I trailed behind her and we turned towards the bike racks outside. Amanda leaned herself on the metal rack while I resorted to the wall. She pulled out a small hand-sized box and flipped the top part open.