fourteen

That natural scent of a bonfire engulfed me.

        Opening my eyes, I was met with an uncomfortably close proximity to another human's face, forcing a squeal out of my mouth. Pressing my hand down on the bed, I rolled myself away carefully, only to fall off the bed completely.

        A grunt came from the bed. I pushed myself up to sit and peered over the edge of the bed, hoping to myself that I was not loud. Fortunately, she did not stir awake. Good... Saves me from the embarrassment. I sighed and laid my head down, gazing at her. She looked so peaceful and adorable, even with her beanie covering one eyebrow and her lips slightly parted. The urge to poke her prominent cheekbone was really strong... So I did.

        Autumn's face scrunched before she opened her eyes drowsily. Even in the soft darkness, her dazed eyes were mesmerizing. The intensity of those enthralling eyes were enough to make me hold my breath. They were really beautiful, nothing like I had ever seen before.

        "Why're you starin' at me like that," she grumbled, pulling her beanie over her whole face, voiding me of the simple appreciation of a natural occurrence.

        "Your eyes," I suddenly whispered under my breath. Realizing what I just said, I pursed my lips and hoped that she did not just hear that.

        "My wha-?" She mumbled tiredly. Great, she didn't.

        "Nothing," I answered. Standing up, I fished my phone out of my pocket and pressed on the lock. No notifications as per usual, but the time... Way past midnight. Coincidentally, she asked for it. "It's three in the morning," I muttered, wondering to myself why she was still here. I figured she would have left when I had fallen asleep.

        "That early?" She remarked, finally sitting up from her position. Her hair cascaded over her shoulders, the slight waves of it making themselves prominent. I never noticed that before. She flipped her hair back and sighed, averting her eyes to different parts of the room. Concern washed over me.

        "Are you okay?" I asked, standing diagonally away from her. She gazed at me this time, blinking her eyes way too many times as if I was a blinding light. Would be quite the compliment in an alternate universe.

        "Yeah, uh, my contacts dried out," she said, licking her lips while still blinking rapidly. Her words sunk in slowly.

        "You wear contacts?" I asked in disbelief, my jaw dropping a little. I figured everything about her was perfect, even her eyesight.

        "Yes, that is a fact," she chuckled, then proceeding to rub the corners of her eyes carefully. That action itself had me cringing and averting my gaze away from her.

"I never knew that," I mumbled to myself. Turning towards the television, I realized that it was still in a recommendation screen after The Vow had finished. I sat down on the edge, contemplating whether to repeat the movie or not since I did not get to watch it. Before I could go looking for the remote, I heard a whisper from behind me.

"Princess?"

"Yeah?" I muttered, matching the volume of her concerned voice. Turning around, I noticed the worried expression etched on her face.

"Last night," Autumn started softly, as if she was hesitating to go on with it. I already knew where she was going with that, so I mentally prepared myself. "Do you wanna talk about it?"

"Autumn, I..." I mumbled, pushing a hand through my hair sorrowfully. The topic was really sensitive to me, but it felt quite different with her... A good different.