seventeen

Plopping myself down on the couch felt completely nostalgic.

        Picking up the remote off the nightstand beside the leather armrest of the couch, I put on the show Friends on Netflix. The episode, The One The Morning After came on, and the memories of that heartwrenching episode came back to me. I felt myself bubble up in anger, despite the hopeless romantic in me that would be heartbroken about the loss of happily ever after.

        "I hate Ross so much," I screamed at the television, seeing him kiss that photocopy girl on the recap of the episode. I heard a 'right?' come from the kitchen and subsequently, a few dishes clattered, followed by a scream. Rapid footsteps came towards the living room and I did not bother looking up.

        "What's going on now?" I asked nonchalantly, focusing on the show more than the girl that was quivering beside the stand like an ant being drowned in sprite. Pardon my morbidness.

        "There was a damn spider on the sink!" She quipped back, brushing off parts of her arms, which ended up blocking my view. I adapted and laid on the couch, getting a good view of the flat screen.

        "Amanda, it's just a spider," I explained, waving my hands at her and somewhat shooing her away. I pulled the throw pillow from the corner and put it under my head.

        "Ugh, we've been friends again for five minutes and you're already back to your normal self?" She scoffed, planting her butt on my legs. I would not have been bothered if she was wearing anything else but a skirt and probably thongs. No, definitely thongs.

        "Hey, butt off! You know how uncomfortable I am with that," I practically yelled back, pulling my legs in and scooting over to my corner of the couch. She giggled from her side, patting her strikingly pink skirt down. I gazed at her and she had a smirk on her face.

        "It's just my butt. It's not like you've never cuddled it before," she spoke teasingly, and I almost wanted to regret coming back to her house. She was right though, I actually loved being the big spoon. But, she offended me greatly over my sexuality, and that was the only chance I was going to give her to make it up to me.

        "I'm gonna leave if you keep doing that," I threatened softly, almost to myself. I averted my eyes back to the screen.

        "Please don't," I heard her say. The couch crackled as she moved closer, pulling my hand out of my hoodie pocket. "I've missed you and I truly apologize. It was wrong of me and please, let me make it up to you," she continued. I gazed back at her, her eyes seeming really sincere. My heart ached.

        I missed her so damn much. She was my person and we had done pretty much everything together. Even that, watching Friends at her house almost every day, and repeating the same show after we finished it, I missed that. Us having a sleepover in the treehouse, dressing her up in her room with the many selections of dresses, and just us having dinner with both of our moms. We both had gone through pretty much the same thing, and we helped each other through our grief. I really, really missed her.

        Somehow, I still felt like I made a mistake and made it way too easy for her. I always figured it would take a long time for me to forgive her for what she had done. But, I already did. Right at that moment when she smiled at me softly and tugged my heart strings easily, I did.

        "You know, if you get me chips, it's a truce," I said with a snicker, pulling my hand away from hers. Amanda jumped up, only to sit back down and squeeze my ankle. Her eyebrows were scrunched.

        "Can you kill the spider first?" She said, pulling a pout, to which I gave in easily. One of the things I somewhat hated about me, depending on the situation, was how submissive I was. Like Rachel, I was a pushover. I took her wrist and hoisted myself up, picked up a sandal and prepared myself to fight the monster she faced in the kitchen.