twenty four

Two weeks went by and unfortunately, I still lacked physical interactions with a certain someone.

        After my brunch at Amanda's, everything had actually been weird. Mandy spoke to me more often, texting me more random stuff than she ever had before. It was like everything suddenly got interesting, just like that peppermint chocolate ice cream she spoke really highly of, and several memes about Game of Thrones — that I did not understand — were the spam topic the other day.

        There it was — in reality, we had been speaking more often that I was starting to use her own phrase. "The other day". Who even uses that? I know one person who did not. One person who did not speak so formally like Amanda would — well, she did not speak formally per se, just more grammatically correct with uppercase and all that shit, just like me.

        sorry princess, got work tonight. another day, kay?

        That was one example, I thought, as I pressed on the lock button of my phone, closing the conversation simultaneously. That message was two days ago; I had asked her to come over for a movie on a Wednesday night, thinking that she would not have work as she usually had her shifts on Thursday, Saturday and Sunday. Sometimes maybe Monday.

        Also, it was already Friday and so far, she had not come around my school for our lunch date.

        It only happened maybe three times since the first one, where she brought me to her humble abode. The other times were at McDonald's and Stella's. Apart from that, none. It was kind of hurting me a little, but again, it was only two weeks into the third month since I met her. She has her own life, she should not have to revolve it around me.

        Sometimes, I felt like she already had, but right now, I was not entirely sure.

        "Hey Debbie downer!" Someone screamed into my ear, followed by a slap on my back that caused my body to jerk forward. I choked on the bite of the BLT I had bitten probably a long while ago. Having to force it down, I had to endure the soggy part of the bread, my inner soul cringing.

        A laugh escaped Mandy's lips as I glared her down, not fully appreciative of the sudden interruption with my train of thoughts.

        "What's that frown doing on your lips, babygirl?" Mandy spoke, poking on the sides of my mouth. I flicked her off, putting the BLT down on the plate infront of me. Apparently I squeezed the life out of it — I could just see the remains of the tomato slice slipping out of it, and my thumb had dented the bread deeply.

        "I should be the one with that frown," Tara spoke from across the table. I averted my gaze towards her, noticing her fold her arms and doing a little glimpse towards where the skater boys were situated. "Jordan hasn't said hi to me at all today," she added with a slight grumble, her eyebrows scrunching together.

        Hayley on the other hand, practically spat out the apple juice she had sucked out of the tetrapack. "Seriously? That's what you're being sad about?"

        "Hey, I'm not like you who always has a guy wrapped around your finger," the blonde quipped back, giving the brunette a glare of her own. Hayley bopped her nose with a finger and with a sly smile, she spoke smugly.

        "I'm pretty sure I'm the one wrapped around their fing—"

        "Hey, hey, hey! None of that, please!" My turn to pull the mother voice as I hovered over the table with my hand against Hayley's dirty mouth. Like me, she was not at all enthused — I could tell by the way she smacked my hand off her caked face, eyes widening in horror.