twenty seven

Spontaneity is hard, especially when neither parties agree on one specific movie to watch.

        "It's either this or The Boss Baby," Autumn retaliated while waving a finger at both posters of Beauty and the Beast and a baby in a high chair. With a scrunched nose, she added, "and it ain't gonna be The Boss Baby."

        Bumping her shoulder with mine as I pressed on the baby poster on the screen of the self-serve booth, I quipped back, "What's wrong with The Boss Baby? It's Kevin Hart!"

        I did not really want to watch that movie, but going against her was quite amusing.

        She raised her eyebrow at me in return. "You're kidding, right? It ain't Kevin Hart, it's that guy from Grease," she said while pressing the 'Back' button on the booth, getting us back to square one. I swear we had spent about ten minutes choosing a movie, and the line behind us had started tapping their feet impatiently.

        "Hmm, I'm pretty sure it's Kevin Hart," I said, moving to press on the screen again. A giggle emitted from me when she decided to carry me off the floor with one arm, voiding me of my chance to continue arguing with her.

        "No. We're not watching The Boss Baby," Autumn said as she set me down behind her. "How about..." she started to say as she held me back, proceeding to press on the screen. When she took quite some time, I decided to push past her arm. That was when I realized she was already about to pay.

        "Hey! You didn't even tell me what you picked," I scrunched my eyebrows at her with a pout playing on my lips. The debit machine beeped afterwards, signaling that we have finally chosen a movie. The blonde woman's wish behind us was officially granted.

        "Doesn't matter, princess. I know you'll like it," she chuckled, pressing a finger on my bottom lip, causing it to flick back up. She grabbed the tickets from a slot in the machine, took my arm and headed towards the concession stand. I swear the line gave us dirty looks.

        We stood behind the shortest line among the ten lines, and that was when I decided to question her. "So, why a movie? And what movie did you pick?" I asked quietly, but enough for her to hear me.

        Looking down at me, I got a glimpse of her twinkling eyes, then a smug smirk on her face slipped out. "I already told you what movie," she answered, handing me the white tickets. In big, bold letters, both pieces of paper had IT on it. I rolled my eyes at her.

        "You're lame," I stated, earning me a chuckle. I took a look at the combos on the menu and thought that we were probably going to get a large popcorn, a bag of something, and one or two drinks. The bag of something will be my choice. "We're getting maltesers by the way," I said, pocketing the tickets in my hoodie.

        Pointing at the display, she said, "Why not skittles? Are you not gay enough to taste the rainbow?" Autumn started laughing, but instead of joining in with her, my emotions got the best of me.

        It did not help that people had averted their gazes to us for a split second to find the culprit of the joke. The hairs at the back of my neck stood up, feeling the opposite of what she most likely expected me to feel.

        You know that feeling when you barge into a classroom and everyone deadpanned at you while silence ensued— pin-dropping can be heard if there was— then realized it was not your classroom to begin with? Not at all as in, that was like the French chess club, and you do not even take French.

        That was exactly what it felt like.

        In the other line, I noticed a group of girls had started muttering under their breaths, following it with a few giggles. I could swear they were talking about us. Or just me.