nineteen

(204)-552-0291     1m ago
        Get ready for the TIME of your LIFE.
        Whether you park your broom or wear a mask,
        Dress up and come over, that's all we ask!

        Halloween Party on Freaky Friday, 7pm.
        79 Lenore St, Wolseley

        Hope to see you there! — E, xoxo.

        I scrunched my eyebrows at the odd text message, not exactly sure as to how the person got my number. What is up with people leaving an initial when it comes to messages?

        My phone pinged another time before I could tell the stranger that she probably had the wrong number. I heaved a sigh of relief, knowing then that it was not a complete random.

        Autumn now
        gave ellie your number for the party deets. i'll come pick you up, yeah?

        "What's that?" A voice screeched beside me.

        Amanda snatched my phone from my hands and scanned it quickly, her mouth then turning into a gape. Was it bad to think that a fly should have gotten in that mouth of hers? I grabbed the phone from her and pocketed it, rolled my eyes at her then moved to leave the cafeteria. She followed right behind me.

        "Were you gonna tell me about this party at all?" She asked, her heels clicking as we climbed up the stairs. I definitely was not planning to, but am I left with any choice?

        "It's Ellie's Halloween party. Autumn's gonna be there,"I muttered, pivoting towards the vocational hallway. Autumn's remark about Amanda resonated in my head. I doubt she would be happy to see her there.

        "Awesome. I'll definitely be there," Amanda said, clicking her tongue. Before I could even respond, she already split our ways and turned towards the smoker doors. I sighed. I really did not want Autumn to feel offended that Amanda came, but if it came to that, would she forgive me?

        I hoped so.

        Racing down the hallway with my head down, I veered towards another direction, opting to skip my last class after the usual boring spare.

«—[W]—»  

        "Honey! Autumn's here!"

        My mother's voice bellowed from downstairs. Shoot, I'm barely ready, I thought, looking down at the towel wrapped around my body. It was only six in the evening, why did she have to be insanely early?

        "Hold on! I'm not ready!" I yelled, determined to finish up the crossword puzzle on my phone before I bothered dressing up. Ellie's house was only fifteen minutes away, I had all the time in the world; Autumn can wait. Looking at the clue, I was somewhat dumbfounded.

        Two words — slow, passionate, considered intimate or sexual.

        Biting my lip, I tried to figure out two words that had an F as the first letter, C and H right in the middle, and two S' at the end. Nothing was coming up in my head. Releasing my lip, I decided that maybe it was actually time to get dressed. As much as I wanted Autumn to wait, she could also get impatient and barge in without my consent.

        I averted my gaze to the door that I had left ajar and coincidentally, footsteps started padding up the stairs. Even though those steps were carpeted, I had gotten used to listening in for when my mom would come up to wake me up, especially in the previous year. I refused to wake up at five in the morning just to do Pilates in our backyard. She figured it out though, so then for a week straight, I lived on a pink yoga mat.