Chapter 8 - Edited

Julia's POV 

The moment I got home from the fourth day of school, I plopped down on my bed, dropping my backpack to the floor. I stared at the ceiling for a moment and a familiar buzz entered my hearing. I immediately reached for my back pocket, digging out my cell phone. Realizing that it was Lora's number that's been calling, I tapped the answer button and propped the phone next to my ear. "You are an absolute idiot."

I furrowed my eyebrows at the sudden insult. "And why is that?" I asked, circling my bed sheet with my thumb. 

I heard her sigh from the end of the phone. "You actually befriended him, and that alone makes me worry."

Sitting upright on my bed, I scoffed. "I think you're making this a way big of a deal than it is," I told her, rolling my eyes. "Besides, he didn't lunge himself towards me, pinning my body down on the floor like we both assumed he would do once he had the chance, and he genuinely seems like a good guy." Or I hope he is.

I didn't wait for her to reply and I hung up the phone, getting up from the bed and towards the staircase with a book in hand. Going down, I began to imagine what my birthday would look like, a rare occurrence with me, considering the fact that I didn't really care about birthdays most of the time. I bit my bottom lip, picturing everyone in tuxedos and dresses, eternally cringing that I had to sit through an hour-long program. When I reached the couch, I stretched my legs on top of the coffee table in front of it until I felt the couch indent with someone else's weight. There, I saw Aunt Carla with a bowl of popcorn in hand, munching audibly. I opened the book and started to read, only to be interrupted by a popcorn kernel that's been thrown towards my forehead. I turned to Aunt Carla who handed me the bowl. "Have some."

I grabbed a handful and returned the bowl to her. "Thanks."

After a minute of silence, she piped, "So what are your plans for your debut?" She continued to eat, eventually hitting the bottom of the bowl, ready to be refilled. "Any dress colors in mind?"

"I think I'll just stick to my old prom dress that I'm sure is still good and a pair of heels to match," I shrugged. 

"Why are you not making a big deal about it? Your debut is an important day." Her voice was full of suspicion and I rolled my eyes at that. I'm pretty sure that the most important day that'll ever occur in my life is the day when I give birth to a food baby, specifically a giant number two.

"I don't know. I mean, yeah it's a debut but that isn't as important as a wedding or anything so I choose not to fuss about it. As long as I have my friends and family and the food, it'll be fine," I replied calmly. "Besides, I know Ashlee will be the one standing out with the dress she'll pick."

She was shocked. "Julia, is there something wrong?"

Something wrong? I put my book down and faced my body towards her. "What do you mean?"

"That doesn't sound like you at all. You always make everything perfect. And what do you mean that it's not so special? I know it's not as important as a wedding but you should make your debut grand. It'll be your day." She stopped like a thought just hit her and she smiled. "But your wedding day can be better..."

I scowled at her and slapped her arm with the back of my book.  "Gosh, I thought I told you about my promises of not having feelings for someone," I defended myself and shook my head before getting up from the couch and turning my heel to return to my room. 

"You have to stop being a bitter teenager! You'll have feelings soon Julia!" she shouted.

Without a word, I slammed the door shut and walked into my bathroom that was fortunately connected to my sleeping quarters. I am never getting married. I know, it's a tad overdramatic but I guess traumas do that to you. The sheer fact that your parents left you just because they loved each other and solidified the words Til death do us part really hits me in the liver. I don't have feelings for someone. I will have no sexual connection with anyone because love is a waste of feelings and in the end, you always get hurt. That's it. The couples who are really loyal and love each other are just lucky. I took my shirt off and unhooked my bra, snorting at the wall that was displayed on the mirror and removed the rest of my clothes, stepping inside the tub that was filled with hot water.

I reached for the book that Lora has been harassing me to read and I adjusted my position, opening the book and bringing it to my eye level. I scrunched my nose as I read the title, that obviously threw me off when I knew that it was a romance novel. I am a bookworm, yes, but I focus on the genres that catch my attention - and romance isn't one of them. 

Seventeen minutes into the book, I sighed in the tub, bubbles floating away from my body and thankfully, I hadn't gotten any water on the book. I highlighted a part of it that really caught my attention and placed it outside the tub to keep it dry and I exhaled slowly before my body sunk under the water, blocking out the voices and suspicions that may make me resort to another head slam, but this time, on the bathtub.

❤❤❤❤❤❤❤❤❤❤❤❤❤❤❤❤

Edited on May 16, 2019

Support me by voting!

With so much love and chicken nuggets,

Brit❤