Riarkle- Just Cuz

disclaimer: this oneshot touches on important themes such as depression and divorce

Riley's point of view, hope you enjoy. 

-----------------------------------------------------------
"Miss, wake up, we need you to get off. The plane just landed." said the stewardess. 

I glanced at the young woman who couldn't possibly be over 40 years of age and gave her a smile. Grabbing my carry on I thanked the staff on the plane along with the pilot. 

I sat there, waiting at baggage claim, contemplating everything that happened these years:

Over ten years ago, Lucas had a battle with leukemia. I didn't leave his side while he went through chemotherapy or even when we thought he finally won. Sadly enough, we were all wrong. He died a year after he first found out that he had leukemia. 
I was so upset, everywhere I went in New York reminded me of him. I finally gave up, I packed up, sold the apartment that Lucas and I once shared and transferred to Oxford in London. I left all these broken ties when I left, no one knew that I left until a month later. 
Farkle went to visit me, found someone else in the apartment that had all my memories, called my parents, our friends, everyone. Eventually they found out from NYU that I transferred to Oxford. 

Maya was living at Paris at the time, studying the arts and working in art galleries. She took a trip, found me and helped me through my state of depression. Or at least that "state of depression" is what everyone calls it. All but one, Farkle. 

I finally got my luggage, dragging my suitcase outside to find Maya in her Volkswagen waiting to pick me up. "Hey," she smiled, "sorry for the mess. Paris has all her toys in the car." 

"It's fine." I mumbled into her shoulder as she got out of the car to give me a hug. I took the passenger seat as she went to put my luggage in the trunk. 

I turned my head to see if Maya was having any trouble with my luggage, only to get distracted by Paris' car-seat and toys in the back seats. All I could think about was if Lucas was still here, if we would have kids by now, if we would be married. 

"What do you think Riley?" Maya asked snapping me out of my thoughts. 

"Sorry," I said still dazed. 

"It's fine, the flight must have been long, take a nap if needed. It's rush hour, there'll be traffic."

Maya had gotten more mature over the years, especially once she got pregnant. I wasn't a planned pregnancy, someone took advantage of her when she was out in England for a business party drunk. He didn't want the responsibility of a kid so he didn't bother, Maya growing up with a single mom knew she could do it. 

She eventually moved back to New York once Paris reached the age of three and once she became a well known artist and interior designer. 

I was staying with her while I was in New York, my home was in England where I worked as a medical researcher at Oxford. I was just hoping that I wouldn't find Josh at her penthouse. He has been helping Maya raise Paris, from what I know, he wasn't Maya's boyfriend, just Paris' father figure. Josh's ex-wife died in child birth a few years before Paris was born, their child lived but never had a mother figure. 

Josh and Maya fill in for the parent their child missed, it's nice. I could only wish for, a kid, a sense of a family that I'll create. With that, I doze off to sleep. 

-------------------------------------------

"Riles," Maya shook me trying to wake me up. "We're at my place, come on. Josh got all the luggage from the car, Paris wants to see you again." 

I smiled grabbing my duffel bag. "Let's go." 

We reached the penthouse, opening the door to find Paris running the Maya and Josh's son Mark sitting with a tiara on his head. Josh came out of the guest room smiling, "How are you Riley?"