Chapter 1

((Okay so before I start this, this chapter is LONG... but it needs to be long in order to have everything explained. Ashton WILL make an appearance, but for now you need the history and you need the basics or else this entire fanfic won't work. Please hang on and trust me, you need all this information))

When the headlights stared straight at me, time stopped. From then on, everything happened in slow motion. Harmonies of the breaks screeching against the frozen asphalt rang in my ears as the windsheild exploded into a million tiny crystals, casting rainbows on the dark car walls. As I floated towards the opening a chorus of cries of pain flushed my ears. Suddenly light exploded in my side, pressing outward, causing me to grasp into the air, my face contorting slowly. I tried to move my hand to the spot, but I was immediately pulled back hard against the seat.

- - - - - - - - - - 

I woke up to bright lights shining down on me. I blinked a few times to take in my surroundings, the scene coming into a clear view. Vaguely, I could feel a piercing pain in my side but as I moved my shirt too examine it, the pain faded away. I shifted in the hospital bed, forcing the covers back as I propped myself against the slanted mattress. Suddenly the door bursted open and parents shuffled in. They appeared as though they had been awake for days on end. Bags sagged under their empty looking eyes, their clothes were wrinkled up and their faces lacked something. My mother and I made eye contact and she began to cry. As I stared at her, I began to hear the faint beeping beside me get louder and faster. She hurried towards me, grasping my hand into her own two, her mouth parted, but no words coming through. She had a bandage on her forhead and a neckbrace, I frowned when I saw them. The beeping progressed and suddenly doctors appeared at the door. They pushed my father to the side and started to pry my mother from my hands. They yelled orders at each other as my mother screamed in agony, the whole room erupting in unbearable noise. She wailed on as a male nurse pulled her back in the direction of the door. Nurses began to gather tools, tubes, and wires and started handing them to the doctors. All I could make out was the blur of hands and the feeling of my body being poked, proded, and invaded. The head doctors', a man with crisp white hair, shouted something over the chaos, but I couldn't make it out.

"Mom!" I shouted, the look in her eyes scaring me. "Mom! Look! I'm okay! I don't need this," I motioned to everything around me. I knew my efforts were futile though, there was no way she could hear me over all the people in the small hospital room. The beeping speed increased and her tears began to flow even faster down her face, I looked to my father for strength but all I could see was tears briming his own old eyes. 

"Dad," I choked, suddenly overrun with emotions, "Tell her I'm okay," I paused, taking a breath, "Please Dad."

A tear rolled down his cheek and he pulled my mom into his chest. He whispered something against her hair and she nodded. In less than a second, an unexpected silence filled the room. It was so random, it was almost unsettling. I shuddered. Panicked, I looked from my parents to the beady eyes of the doctors staring down at me. The white haired leader, shook his head and licked his chapped lips. 

Out of nowhere, a sweet harmony of, "I love you Emma"s filled the room, the world went still, and the lights went out. 

- - - - - - - -

I woke up a while later to see my parents standing over me, huddled tightly together.

"We're going home," my mother whispered. I nodded in response and she broke into sobs almost immediately. My father took her by the shoulders and turned her to leave. I pushed back the covers and followed them out of the hospital. The car ride home was short and silent though it felt like it took years. We finally pulled into the driveway and filed out of the car.