Chapter 21

The next morning, I walked back into the hospital room. Ashton and I made eye contact and he gave me a quick nod before turning back to his friends surrounding his bed. They all took turns hugging him and promising they'd come back to visit soon, but that it could be difficult with school, but that they would try. I smiled and watched as they picked up their stuff and walked out the door. 

Once the door was closed, he opened his arms and beckoned me closer. "Hey," he whispered as he pulled me into his side, kissing my temple.

"Hi," I sighed.

I had stayed the night in Ashton's room, in his house, dreading how or when I would tell him that his dad skipped out on him and his mom. How do you tell someone that? The question kept me up all night as I wrapped myself up in his comforter, inhaling his familiar scent. Seeing him everywhere probably made it harder for me to sleep, but I couldn't help it. It was all I could do not to cry. In the morning, I had gone down to the kitchen, hoping I could steal a piece of toast before his mom woke up, but when I got down there, she was already awake. 

She sat at the counter, her eyes red and glossy, a big cup of coffee in front of her. "I have to tell him," she mumbled over and over as she rubbed her eyes with the palm of her hands. 

More than anything, I wanted to comfort her, tell her I'd do it, but there was no way I could accomplish that. There was no way physically. I could knock something over, push a chair to the side, do anything, but everything I thought of would signal a "no you shouldn't tell him," so I just stood in the corner of the kitchen, remaining quiet. 

After staring for an uncomfortably long time, I decided it was time to leave and go back to Ashton. As I gathered myself in the front foyer, I heard a voice from the other room. 

"Yes, I'm going to tell him, I have to, he won't believe anything else if his dad just doesn't show up," she talked into the phone. She sighed and nodded, agreeing with whatever the person on the other side of the phone was saying. "No, yeah, I know, it's not fair but it's not fair for me to keep it from him either." She paused, "Yes I know I'm right. Okay. Thank you Joy, yes, bye."

She sighed and put the phone down, "I guess I should get ready to go to the hospital then."

I pondered her for a minute, wondering if every now and then she just spoke to herself to see if I would respond to her, but I couldn't do that again. I hated to leave her alone, but too much intervening and I knew things could get rough. 

I looked down and turned back to the door, allowing myself to sink through and head back to the hospital. 

And now there I was. Sitting in Ashton's lap as he traced shapes in my hair, his lips pressing against my temple every few minutes. 

"How was the rest of your little boys night?" I asked him, looking up through my lashes.

"It was fun. And it was a big boys night thank you very much," he poked my nose.

I laughed and rolled my eyes, "Whatever you say." 

"Hey," he pouted, burrying his face into my neck. I giggled, but I knew I was distracted. My eyes kept darting to the door, waiting for Anne to come in and break the news. 

"You okay?" He asked, knowing me too well. 

I nodded, the weight decreasing as I knew he would know well and I'd be off the hook. And after thinking that, I immediately hated myself for thinking like that. 

"Babe," he whispered, but I didn't turn my head. "Emma," he pressed again. But I couldn't look over. "Emma just tell-"

But then the door opened and a weeping Anne walked in. "Mom?" Ashton asked, his voice seeping with deep concern.