Chapter 29

The next few weeks are a blur of countless peope in and out of Ashton's house, welcoming him home and congratulating him on his recovery. The house had been cleaned up and Ashton had been given brand new clothes by his aunts and uncles. We found out that everyone had come to town and had been staying in a hotel the week Ashton had his surgery. I sat with him as he sat in an arm chair beside the fireplace, welcoming basically the entire town into his home all day everyday. 

The boys sat with him too. Because they knew of my existence or rather, lack there of, Ashton was able to speak to me on a low murmur to avoid the gazes of everyone else, and even pass on things I said back to the boys.

It was all fun and games.

Until Ashton's father came back.

We heard him before we saw him.

Rather, we heard Anne screaming like hell before we saw him.

"You get your fucking piece of shit ass out of my house!" Her voice bellowed through the house, catching the attention of everyone in the house. I saw a few people shift uncomfortably, some even leave. No one knew what to do. 

I looked at Ashton, his face paled.

"It's my house too!" His father yelled back.

"It hasn't been your house since you walked the fuck out without turning your head back!"

The boys tensed next to me and moved closer to Ashton slowly, resting their hands on his shoulder.I did the same and offered him a weak smile. The townspeople and people from school around us began to leave. Slowly but surely emptying the living room we were crowded in.

"Just let me see my son, Anne!" His voice pierced the silence.

There was no quick response, just a loud slap noise and an angry sounded crash. 

"No," Anne finally answered, her voice in choked sobs.

At the sound of his mother wailing, Ashton darted into the foyer. The boys and I followed immediately, trailing him. When we stepped into the open space, we were all staring down at a horrifying scene which no kid should ever encounter.

Ashton's mom sat in the middle of a broken table. Her body was slumped against the wall. Ashton's father stood heavily breathing by the door, tears springing to his eyes. I watched as Ashton surveyed the scene, anger coursing through his veins. 

"Ashton," his father started, tears beginning to stream down his face, but Ashton held up a hand. I looked between Ashton and his father. The boys did the same. As did the few stranglers who decided to not leave when it was hinted that they should. 

Ashton scowled at his father and moved to check his mom. "Mom?" He whispered, smoothing her hair out of her face. She mumbled and blinked her eyes open, her head rolling to the side. "Mom are you okay," he asked, his fingers tracing over her lip, which was cracked and bleeding. He wrapped his arm around her and hauled her to her feet. "Boys, please?" He motioned to his friends and handed her off, whispering something I couldn't quite hear in her ear. They carried her off into the other room leaving Ashton to stand off against his father. I quietly took a step back and waited.

"Get out," Ashton snarled, standing his ground.

His father's face crumpled and tears flowed freely now, "My boy," he stepped forward and fell to his knees. 

Ashton didn't move as the man, or what was left of a man, pulled at his pant leg. "I'm sorry," he begged. "I'm so sorry, I just wanted to see you."

Ashton knelt down and became level with his father. I did the same, instantly smelling the stench of alcohol on the man's breath.

"Dad," he started, igniting a smile of relief on the man's face. "How dare you," he finished, eliminating all signs of hope across his dad's features. "How dare you come back here after you abandoned us, when was sick? Mom was here, she stayed with me, but you. You left. Because you couldn't handle it. And now you're back?" His voice rose, causing his father to scamper away. Ashton began to stand, "Get out of our home," he spoke, his voice calm and collected. When his father refused to move, Ashton took a deep breath. "I said," his voice grew louder, "Get the fuck out of my house!"

Fear spread across the man's face and he turned around, helplessly fumbling for the doornob, "I'm sorry son, I'm sorry," he tried.

"Your apology means nothing to me," Ashton spat and with that his father left.

- - - - - - - - - 

a/n: this would be longer but my sister is yelling at me for typing loudly i apologize xx comment, vote, stay fab ily -em

-