Chapter 28

"So, what'd they say?" I asked Ashton, coming back from walking the halls while he talked with his doctor. The nurses had just helped him moving into his room. Instead of having a single bed and a lockable door, this one had two beds separated by baby blue curtains. The window covered the full length of the wall and allowed a surplus of light to pour in. Though the other bed was empty the room lacked a feeling of privacy and home. It felt temporary. That seemed to be the only appropriate word for it and given Ashton's condition and everything he had been through, temporary wasn't a word to be used lightly. He looked up at me, his lip catching in his teeth. He dropped my gaze and looked around the small hospital room. It felt weird not being in our usual one, especially with how familiar and comfortable it had begun to become. 

"They said I can go home in a few days," he chirped, a smile exploding across his features. "That's why they moved me here. It's more of a in-and-out room than a permanent stay type situation. However, if I say so myself the bathroom is closer so I don't really mind." 

"You're such a boy," I teased, "We both know you would rather pee in a cup than even consider getting out of bed."

"You know me well, woman," he retorted, winking at me.

That's wonderful," I started, "About going home though." I smiled, knowing this made him happy, "The boys are going to explode, wow," I started thinking of their faces when they would hear the news, Calum's in particular. "I told you you could fight this. I told you you could power through. I hate to say I told you so, but I did tell you so."

"Yeah, yeah, he waved his hand. You want a gold sticker or a cookie?"

I tilted my head to the side and licked my lips. I tapped my chin to immitate myself thinking. "How about a kiss?" I said, holding a finger up as if I had suddenly had a lightbulb moment.

Ashton wiggled his eyebrows and motioned for me to come closer. "Jeez, Emma, so demanding," he shook his head as I straddled his waist. He tilted my chin down and pressed a kiss to my lips his head tilting up slightly.

"You know me," I murmured against his mouth.

He laughed against my lips and his hands moved down to my hips. I pulled away and bit my lip staring into his eyes. His were dark as night and it kinda turned me on. His hands started moving further down when all of a sudden he started tickling me. "Ashton!" I screamed and rolled to the side, trying to protect my tummy and sides from his fingers. "Stop please," I yelled, unable to really sound serious as I couldn't catch my breath. 

Finally his tickling seized and I was able to uncurl from my ball of protection. "That's what you get," he said.

I raised an eyebrow, "For what? Kissing you?"

He laughed and pulled me into his side. "Exactly." 

I rested my head against his chest, my hand lightly rubbing his collarbone. He breathed quietly and to a slow rhythm. I almost fell asleep when a new wave of questions popped up into my head. 

"So what's the first thing you're going to do when you're back?"

"Take my mom out for dinner, see the boys, cuddle you in my own bed like we used to," he smirked down at me. Suddenly that smirk molded into a worried appearing confusion. Immediately dread impaled my stomach, washing all the happiness away. Like we used to. Before he was really sick. Before we could really touch. 

"Your pare-," I caught myself before I could bring more disappointment to what was already creeping onto his face. "Your mom will be so happy to see you," I finished. He nodded. I had already messed up too much. I muttered a quiet sorry but I wasn't sure if he heard.