Learning

Another morning, another school day, hopefully new adventure. I woke up the same way, debated if I should still pray, and went downstairs for breakfast. As usual, my parents were dismissive because of their busy schedules, and I headed out to catch the bus.

The same thing- the bus came. But this time, there were lesser people, so there were seat choices. And also, thanks to school yesterday, people's faces are becoming more and more familiar.

But at the corner of the bus, eyes heavy with mascara stuck on me like I wasn't supposed to be here. I courteously waved at them, and dragged myself to a seat before the bus driver stepped on the gas.

"Hey," one of the girls spoke behind me. I turned my head and flashed a smile, hugging my books closer to my chest. "Hi."

"I saw you with the dykes yesterday."

What are dykes?

"Excuse me?" I asked, now turning my whole torso to her direction. She has icy blue eyes like me and reddish hair. Hanging around her bare neck was a thin, gold necklace. I couldn't see what she was wearing.

New information entered my mind-

Dykes- noun- a barrier, embankment, walls.

"Oh yeah, the dykes. There was no place to sit last lunch break, so I sat by a dyke," I said smilingly. How nice of her to be concerned about me.

Her and the other girls seating beside her and on the next aisle of seat began laughing, some even slapping their laps in sheer amusement. I laughed along to not get left out.

Eventually, the girl behind me stopped laughing, causing me to stop too.

"Dykes, lesbians, smart-ass," she says, emphasizing the words. Oh... did she mean Angie and Mary? They were the only lesbians I have encountered yesterday. Why would she refer to them as walls? Ugh, their language is too confusing.

"What about them?" I questioned.

"That's disgusting- you don't seem gay, so don't hang out with them. It's like, getting your hands in dirt. Ew."

"What do you mean, you don't seem gay? You can't judge people by their looks. And plus, Angie and Mary are nice people, even to strangers they nothing know about. "

I didn't want to continue this sort of narrow-minded conversation any longer; I turned around and silently dismissed her. I heard a buzz of whispers around me, but I bid them no attention.

How could God not pity gays, when clearly all around them is hate?

I bit my lip in wonder.

<In school>

I thanked the driver, and this time, I make an educated move around the crowd, preventing myself from bumping people, avoiding muddy areas, and managing the squeezing crowd.

Beth walked past me and said there wouldn't be a meeting this afternoon, and she said Coach John is back. I thanked her and she went away. Angie and Mary came up to me and showed me to a vacant locker near the library, since they know that my only locker- the gym locker- was too far away from any classroom. I thanked them accordingly.

"Oh and guys," I said as an afterthought "Is calling someone a dyke, an insult?"

The lovers looked at each other with an emotion I couldn't really pick up- it was a cross between surprise and familiarity.

"Dyke is an inappropriate term for a lesbian," Angie said as she bobbled her head slowly "Did Emily call us that again?" she went on.

So that was her name.