Something's Just Wrong

<Megan’s P.O.V>

Yesterday was undeniably one of the most interesting days of my life that I’d like to repeat over and over… but if I manage this day correctly, today might even be better than yesterday.

I got up, made breakfast, walked past my father who literally passed out last night on the floor, near the couch, fed Lord Mint, and drove to school.

But I added something different to this day- a headache pill, so I won’t have to act like an injured boy scout when my head aches. And plus, I even prepared 2 vegetarian meals for me and Aceline. I’m asking her out for lunch, and that should be a great first move.

With all my random monologues going about in my head as I drive, I just have to remember that Aceline’s no longer just a friend, I need to treat her a little differently today. No more long, unnecessary conversations with Emily, and no more hooliganism with Jake… no matter how fun he says it will be. 

I arrived at school, and I noticed that the bus Aceline takes isn’t here yet, so, how nice would it be if I walked with her into the school? Yeah, that would be cute.

I turned on my stereo, which I haven’t turned on for some time now, and the first thing that blares out is some rap about dope and money.

Disgusted, I turn the shit off and concentrate to looking for the bus.

I think 30 minutes passed when a bus comes into the bus parking lot and parks, and the doors swing open.

Fuck, what time is it? Wait… I’ve been an hour early to school? Was I this excited to see Aceline?

A stupid smile works its way to my lips as I get out of the car and walk my way to the bus, almost tripping over the uneven cement that I would normally avoid.

Yeah, I guess so.

But remember, for fuck’s sake Megan, don’t go too fast. And don’t get too cocky just because you’ve been to multiple dates with multiple people… she’s not one of them. She’s new. You’re new. Be cool, for fuck’s sake.

“Be cool, be cool, and be cool…” I found myself reciting that line over and over again as more and more kids leave the bus.

I am finally close to the bus, and I’ve been tip-toeing to see her face walk out of the yellow vehicle. So far, I’ve only been bumped to, but I haven’t seen her.

The bus is completely empty, but she’s nowhere around.

Then, another similar bus comes to view and parks right in front of me.

“Well shit.” I mutter.

The doors swing open and familiar faces get off, and then the red-haired friend of mine comes to view and eagerly pulls on my arm.

“She and I will go out this Friday! Can you believe that? Can you?” Emily jumped around while holding my right arm, making me feel like she’ll pull them off any time and use it as a prop to her date.

“Gee, that’s great,” I sincerely cheered for her.

She stopped jumping and eyes at me, and I slowly take my arm away from her.

I looked up the bus door, and there she is.

I smiled and waved at her, and I protruded my hand, as if to coax her to take it.

She scoffed at the offer, but she took it anyways. I helped her down the bus, and when we were standing right next to each other, I wordlessly turned to Emily and bit my lip.

Emily, being already hyped up about having her own date, get more hype at seeing I and Aceline hold hands and stand next to each other.

“Well well well… I guess I’m not the only one with a date…” she nodded to Aceline, and walked her way to the school.