The Healing

<Nobody’s P.O.V>

               Aceline wakes up with no trouble, but getting out of bed is a task she postponed for the past 3 hours. She lays awake, staring at the ceiling, wishing she was anywhere else but in her room. The cups of beer she had were beginning to sound like a great idea once again, but remembering how Megan and she argued over that, she decides not to have any.

               Oh, memories of Megan.

               Not wanting to lie for another 3 hours, Aceline gets up from bed, and noticed the pillow still moist from tears. She gives it blind eyes, gives the bed a quick fix, and brushed her hair in the restroom. Brushing turned into a long, full bath. Aceline doesn’t mind- after all, she has nowhere to go today that she needs to rush.

               After the shower and dressing up, she proceeds downstairs, greeted by the familiar smell of pancakes and Dad’s coffee. Great, she thought. At least my parents don’t hate me anymore to want to poison my food.

               She does her routine of greeting her parents, listening to their blabber of jobs and how they will be off for the whole afternoon for Mom, or night, for Dad, and how lunch is ready in the microwave.

               Aceline does not listen so much. Automatic parents do not even mind Aceline’s reactions towards them. Despite her stoic expression, they still tell her how beautiful she smiles in the morning, being completely blind.

               A phone rings, and her parents rush to brush their teeth and get into the car. They tell her to fix the dishes, and again, the lunch is in the microwave.

               A car pulls out from the garage, and they zoom away.

               The daughter sits in silence for few minutes, before finishing her food and clearing the dishes away. Something catches her eyes in the living room, and it’s a brown satchel. It sits in silence on top of the coffee table, half-open, displaying thick groups of paper. Assuming it’s her parent’s, and one of them left it, she decides to give it to them if one should come looking for it.

               As she was about to wash the barely soiled dishes, her door rings.

               She grabs the brown satchel and opens the door, almost wanting to just throw the lifeless thing out the door.

               “Here’s the satchel you forgot,” she says to her visitor.

               “I don’t own that,” a female voice replied, making Aceline’s blue eyes reconnect to familiar brown eyes. The blonde lady almost wanted to drop the satchel as an initial reaction.

               “You’re… here…” she muttered. Megan gives her casual smirk, as if unimpressed by her own act. “You left your bike in my house,” she replied.

               Aceline let go of her breath- of course, God forgot to edit that part when she left her bike. That little slip got Aceline’s stomach churn in much anxiety. At least- Megan remembers the bike as hers, and managed to return it because Aceline wrote her address on its body. Not like Megan remembers her house.

               Would Megan question why her bike there is? Aceline wouldn’t know.

               “Oh yeah, thanks.” The host replies, almost lifeless. She’s just happy they see each other. Oh, how she just wants to narrate all that happened last night.

               “Would you like to come in?” Aceline internally slaps herself for that. She’s supposed not to make any interaction with Meg! Why is she inviting her into the house?

               “Actually, I came to ask you to come over our house,” Megan objected, making Aceline’s blue eyes brighten with mixed emotions.

               “Why’d you leave me at the hospital last night?”

               The satchel dropped.

               She remembers! She remembers everything! Megan has not forgotten anything at all!

               Without another word, Aceline wraps her arms around the taller girl’s neck, and Megan does not question the sudden change of mood. She hugs back the blonde’s waist.

               “No, really, why did you…?” Megan kept whispering in her ear, but the ex-angel does not answer yet, until she lets go.

               “I… I came home, to speak to my parents… I guess they’re okay with us now.” She lied. She definitely lied. But the truth was a lot more complicated, so this lie would do. How else can you explain her parents’ positive attitude towards Aceline today? Someone who doesn’t know the truth would also think they reconciled.

               “You did that?” A smile coiled on the jet-black. Aceline nodded, and the girls hugged again, tighter.

               “How are you? How are you out of the hospital?”

               “They discharged me… I’m cured! The tumors… they’re all gone!”

               “That’s just amazing!”

               “I know! Dad and Mom were really happy about it and….”

               Dad and Mom? Her parents are both alive?!

               There aren’t any slips in here. There is something completely off.

               But in order not to alarm Megan, Aceline discreetly locks the house and begins her journey towards the taller lady’s house, and Megan talks on about how happy everything is now.

               They sit on the bench of a bus stop, holding hands.

               Looking around, a little note with the name Aceline is on the glass wall of the waiting shed. She discreetly picks it up as Megan tries to stop a bus for them.

               It read-

               Aceline, you were right. Love doesn’t matter with whom you share it with. With so much hate running the world, I should be in fact happy people can still find happiness with each other. How ungod-like of me to punish. As an apology, I returned all memories of you in Megan’s life. And also, I erased the memory of her mother’s death. I replaced it with her fast recovery, and she was able to be discharged few days after you met her. Megan is cured of her tumors, too.

 I took all of those healing powers from your years of life. So yes, Aceline, now you are mortal. You are now able to age with the people you love and enjoy the world the way true humans do.

Have fun today.

As much as she wanted to jump and scream, she needed to stay calm and get on the bus Megan pulled over. They got on the vacant seats near the window and began to talk about normal things.

Normal things.

Oh, how Aceline loved the sound of that!

.

.

.

.

<A.N>

Surprise surprise :P