I'll Stay

<Aceline’s P.O.V>

<In the hospital>

               After Megan’s black-out, Coach John was able to drive her to the hospital, and I was able to take her father with us.

               I biked to the Woods residence and as quickly as I screamed the words Megan’s going to the hospital, her father got the car out of the garage and asked me to get in. I got in without a second thought.

               The trip was brief, but compared to the way our hearts pounded for the same person, it was too slow. The smiling, happy people I saw along the way got contaminated by the grieving face I was carrying. I didn’t know I was that sad until Mr. Woods handed me a handkerchief from the glove compartment and asked me to wipe my tears.

               I looked at him, and he was in the brink of going full speed and crashing the car in anxiety.

               He needs more than a hanky.

.

               We almost jumped out of the car and raced to the hospital double-doors. The guard recognized us so well; he greeted us with the black-haired girl is in Room 35, second room to the left. Taking his tip, we went straight ahead, completely ignoring the desk nurse whose head was shaking at us.

               ..Outside the room, waiting on the bench was Coach John, with his face on his hands. Mr. Woods rushed to him and shook his shoulders, as I sat next to him and eased his shoulders.

               They began trying to calm themselves down before facing Megan. I overheard that it’s not going to help her- seeing us so hopeless and close to… excreting in our pants.

               As for me, I kept easing Coach John’s toned shoulders, but my mind traveled back to the time I walk up in Hell. On a bench. With a hallway that stretched on forever, and rooms with different kinds of evil.

               The visual details are slightly vague now, but the feeling never goes away. I remember I was lost, and scared. I didn’t know which door to open, as every door was inevitably a gateway to a mini-Hell.

               This hospital doesn’t associate much happy feelings for the Woods family, I’m sure. The desk nurse shook her head for a reason. This is their personal Hell, and my deep emotions for Megan have brought me back to this miserable feeling of being lost and scared all over again.

               But do I plan to escape this..?

               Of course I do.

               But I’m dragging Megan out with me.

               I got up and dared to look through the clear glass pane of Room 35, and Doctor Cooper was looking at some papers he took out of a brown envelope.

               My eyes stopped darting around when they fell upon a drowsy, but awake, Megan Woods. Even in weakness, she looked more bored than sad to be in here. I heard her ask Doctor Cooper for the remote of the television. I would’ve asked for the papers in his hands instead, but that’s the beauty of someone like Megan.

               The doctor in the lab coat looked at his patient with serious eyes, and I and Megan tensed at the same time. He said something, and Megan nodded. When the doctor headed for the door, her eyes met mine, finally, and she gave a weak wave.