4

Claire walked to the bakery and sat down.

"You must be the famous Claire," a voice said from behind her.

Claire turned around to see a very attractive man.

She smiled.

"Famous? I've only been here for two days!"

"This is a small town after all, word travels very fast, and it isn't very often we get a traveller as pretty as you. Normally the men in this town scare all the ladies off," he replied.

"Indeed," Claire answered.

"Judging by that response, I'm assuming that you've already met one?"

"Yes, what a horrid man! Never in my life have I ever met someone so wretched! And quite an intimidating specimen too, if I might add," Claire exclaimed.

"Ah, yes, that doesn't surprise me. I'm Louis, by the way. I'm the baker's son," the man said.

"Well, it's very nice to meet you, Louis," Claire smiled

"Can I get you anything?" Louis asked.

"A croissant would be nice, thank you."

"My pleasure mademoiselle," Louis smiled, "I shall be right back."

Louis returned a moment later with the croissant and handed it to Claire.

"How much will it cost?" Claire asked drawing a small pouch of coins from her bag.

"Oh, no, don't worry about it. It's on the house, just for you," Louis smiled.

"Thank you! That is very kind of you. However, I must be on my way. Hopefully I will see you tomorrow?"

"I'll be looking forward to it."

**