15

Claire stopped kissing Gaston and looked up startled.

"Louis?!" She gasped, "What are you doing here!"

Claire jumped up and brushed off her dress.

"It's Monday, Claire. Did you forget?" Louis snapped.

"Louis.."

"Save it Claire. Please," Louis said cutting her off, "I don't think that this wedding should happen anymore."

"What? No! Louis please!"

"No Claire. I love you! But you don't seem to feel the same way!"

"Louis! That's not true at all! I love you too!"

"Then prove it! Come with me now and we'll get married!"

"Louis.."

"Exactly. I care about you Claire. But I don't want to be in the middle of whatever game that you two are playing," Louis said, turning around to get back onto his horse.

A tear fell from Claire's cheek.

"Louis, wait," Claire said.

Louis turned around.

Claire reached down and pulled the diamond ring off of her finger. She placed it in Louis' palm and curled his fingers around it.

"Give it to a girl who deserves it. Because I don't," Claire said holding back her sobs, "And I want you to know that just because we won't be together, doesn't mean that I won't still love you."

"Goodbye Claire," Louis said getting back on his horse and galloped away.

Claire stood there, unable to control her tears anymore. She sunk to her knees and placed her hand over her mouth. She felt a hand gently touch her shoulder.

She turned around to see Gaston, looking down at her with a look of sympathy. She slapped his hand off and jumped up.

"Don't touch me Gaston," Claire snapped.

"Claire..."

"Please, Gaston, I need to be left alone right now," Claire said brushing her tears off her cheeks.

Claire turned around and looked at the scenery all around her. She heard Gaston get on his horse and ride away. Once he did, she collapsed on her knees once more and buried her head in her hands, crying.