23

Claire walked into Gaston's room to check and see if he was alright.

"Don't let me go! Don't let me go, please!" Gaston gasped.

"Gaston!" Claire said running to his side, "It's ok. You're alright."

She gently shook him and he woke up.

"Claire?"

"You're alright, it was just a bad dream," Claire said gently, placing her hand on his cheek, "Would you mind telling me what it was about?"

"That night,"

"Oh," Claire turned around to walk out of his room, "Try to get a good nights rest alright?"

"Claire wait,"

"Yeah?"

"I think you need to hear the story about that night," Gaston said.

"I already know Gaston, you don't have to tell it to me again"

"No Claire, you don't know. You don't know the full story,"

Claire sat down next to him on his bed.

"That night, I had tried to lock her, Belle's father away in a mad house. I remember when she came riding in on her horse, she ordered me to stop. I didn't listen to her. She pulled out this mirror and yelled 'show me the beast!' He was ghastly, with his long fangs and claws. I thought how could Belle ever learn to love a beast? Why would she ever choose that creature over me? I ordered for the death of the beast, and I remember what she said, as if it was yesterday, she said 'no Gaston! He's not a monster! You are!' I lost it then, I lead a mob to the castle where we almost all got killed. I remember, I left LeFou, my oldest companion, for dead, and I didn't care. All I cared about was making Belle my wife. I stormed up to the lair where the beast was and shot him. He grabbed me by my neck and dangled me over the side of the castle and I begged him, 'Don't let me go! Please! Don't let me go!' And he did. I remember the look on his face as he did, like he actually regretted doing that to me. I ran away and shot him again. And I shot him one last time until he was no longer moving. Then, the ground below me gave way, and I plunged down to the ground. I was left to die with the wolves. Eventually I mustered up enough strength to drag myself into town," Gaston said.

Claire remained silent.

"Claire, say something, anything, please,"

"I don't know what to say," Claire murmured.

"I understand if you want to leave and never want to see me again,"

"Are you mad? Everyone makes terrible mistakes in their life. I can't hold you accountable for something that happened three years ago. I will never leave you Gaston and I will always stay by your side, forevermore."

Claire kissed his forehead gently, walked out of his room and closed the door behind her.

**

Gaston and Claire sat on top of the hill, enjoying the warm breeze.

"Say you love me every waking moment," Claire said.