Chapter 5

Once everyone is prepared, we ride into a large valley that stretches as far as the eyes can see. I have to ride next to Heichou as he is ‘in charge’ of me, but I don't really mind. In the formation we are located in the centre, which I have been informed is the safest position. I just noticed that not all of the Survey Corps are participating today. Lately, expeditions have been harder and more dangerous, so the Survey Corps’ numbers have been in a steep decline which leads to more paperwork. And since the squad captains have more than their share of paperwork they sometimes give part of it to the Special Operation Squad aka Squad Levi, to complete. If only there were more recruits! There are only just enough people to even make the triangle formation!

I glance to my left as many black smoke signals are fired into the sky. My eyes squint involuntarily trying to get a view of the danger, but there isn’t even supposed to be any titans out here! I glance at Levi, what was going on? But the look on his face just made me more worried. His face was still the neutral mask, but underneath, I could tell he was panicking.

The smoke signals slowly get closer to Levi and I, but what do we do? The sound of gunshots and thundering hooves start to surround us. Wait... gunshots? It couldn’t be! Levi’s uncle couldn’t defeat the Survey Corps. We were trained to kill titans for god's sake!

A shrill whinny cuts through the air as my horse is shot. The beast begins to kick and buck because of the pain and manages to dislodge me. I lay on the grass, trying to once again fill my lungs after the air was forced out of them.

“Eren!” Levi cries, as he watches me fall to the ground. He jumps off his horse and runs to me, dropping to his knees on the earth beside me. He begins to poke and prod at me, looking for any injuries. I slap his hands away, we had more important things to be doing! Once he is sure I’m not hurt he helps me stand and we look around the open field. Left and right Survey Corp soldiers are being striked on the head, being knocked unconscious. And if they put up a good fight, they get shot. The offenders wore black cloaks that concealed their facial features and were armed with small handheld pistols that shot to injure, to capture...

Not kill.

I notice this before my vision goes black.