Chapter Two

The class was silent for once, made a nice change from the constant arguing and fighting. "Right class we are going to the library, for your assignment I want you to do a presentation on your role model" I addressed the class as they all whooped. They liked computers, everyone filed out of the class as Tommy slowly followed them. The class sat down and set to work, I walked around asking them all questions about who they were picking. Most of them were picking celebrities, I sat at a table marking some papers while they were busy. "Sir I need help!" someone shouted as I looked up at Lilly the cheerleader she was a bit ditzy.

I walked over to her, "what's up?" I asked kneeling down next to her. "What does this question mean?" she asked fluttering her eyelashes at me. " What do you like about your role model? It means exactly that" I said taking no notice of her obvious flirting. "I can say my idol is Katie price because of her boobs though can I?" she said pushing her top half of her body up. I averted my eyes, "no you can put it another way though. You could say her body or something" I said as she laughed. "Sorry sir I didn't mean to embarrass you" she said fluttering her eyelashes at me again.

"Just do your work Lilly" I said shaking my head. The bell rang as everyone stood up, "ok everyone I want your assignment by the end of the week, you may go. Except you Mr Ratliff" I said looking up from my papers as everyone sniggered as they walked past Tommy. "Sit down please" I said placing the test papers on the table, "I didn't do anything" Tommy whispered. "You're not in trouble, I've seen your latest grades and compared them with your others. It seems that in the last few months your grades have slipped and you are failing every class. Care to explain?" I said.

"I have stuff to deal with, im not very good in class" he said. "You need to speak to us, we can help you with it" I said as his eyes snapped up. "With what?" he questioned, "Look we've noticed how some of the other kids are with you, if you're being bullied ten we can help" I said. "So what If I am being bullied, I deserve it there's nothing you or anyone can do to stop it, I cant help how I am. I deserve everything I get because that's what happens to people that are different" he said standing up and running out of the library.

"Nice one Adam!" I said to myself as I collected the papers and headed back to the classroom. I put them in the correct folders and tidied up the cabinet, I have a free lesson now so its time to do some organising. I sorted the papers into alphabetical order and tidied the books on the shelf up. I heard the door open as I looked up from my book, "Hi sir, I think I left my book in here" Lilly said. "Oh right well feel free to have a look for it" I said as she smiled and bent down shaking her bum at me. I rolled my eyes and looked down at the page, "so sir what are you reading?" she said sitting on the desk and swinging her legs.

"Its a story called pride and prejudice, did you find your book?" I said, she knelt on the table so her face was inches from mine. "Yeah I did" she said, "well good but hadn't you better get to class?" I said. She placed a finger on my lips, "shh sir" she said leaning closer to me. I pulled away as she leant in to kiss me, "Lilly please this isn't right im your teacher" I said. "Yeah and im sixteen and you're looking flustered sir how about we undo that tie" she said as her hands grabbed my tie and pulled on it loosening it.

"Lily stop" I said as I heard shouting in the corridor, I pulled away as she waved her fingers at me. I tightened my tie and tidied myself up as I went to investigate, it was a massive fight. I ran over and stepped in between them, one of them went to hit someone and hit me instead. They gasped as I looked down at them, "Oh my god sir im so sorry I didn't mean to I was aiming for the teachers pet" he said. "Principals office now!" I shouted wiping my nose, he was led off by another teacher.

"Everyone get to class right now or I will not hesitate to expel the lot of you" I shouted as I peered down at the blood on my hand. I looked down at the floor and saw blonde hair curled into a ball his hair thick with blood. I grabbed his arm and pulled him up, "come on the nurses office with you Tommy" I said steering him up the corridor. I pushed open the door as Nancy looked up, "Adam what happened" she said running over.

"Student fight" I said pushing Tommy towards her, she took his arm and sat him down. She poured some water into a bowl and added some antiseptic, she dipped some cotton wool in it and lifted Tommys head up. "This might sting a little, that's quite a cut you've got there" she said wiping the cotton wool over the cut. I watched Tommy wince and grit his teeth as she dried it off and stuck some steri strips over it. "Tommy are you allergic to aspirin or paracetamol?" she asked.

"No" he whispered, "Ok then drink this" she said handing him a cup full of fizzy water. He smelt it "its aspirin, it will help with the pain" she said smiling as he drunk it. "Now Adam lets clean your nose up" she said, "No its fine really" I said. "It needs cleaning" she answered tipping my face up and cleaning it with the antiseptic, I winced at it but let her finish. "Thank you Nancy, come on Mr Ratliff lets get you to class" I said smiling as the nurse waved.

"So you deserved that cut did you?" I said as he kept his eyes locked to the floor. "Look I want to help you get your grades up, me and the principal were thinking maybe I can give you some extra lessons?" I said. "Ok" Tommy answered, "good we can start tomorrow I have a free lesson last if you want to come then?" I said as we stopped outside his class. "Ok then" he said as I walked him in and spoke to his teacher. "Keep an eye on him, he's had quite a knock on his head. If he feels dizzy he needs to go straight back to the nurse" I whispered as the teacher nodded.

"What happened to your nose sir?" Annabelle said in class that day, "nothing just me being clumsy and walking into a door" I said. Annabelle was a little sweetie, she was also one of the smartest girls in the class. Yet she didn't get teased in the slightest, I wondered what made Tommy so different from every other kid in school...