Chapter Twenty-Seven

I was like a deer caught in headlights. My parents just waked in on me straddling my much older boyfriend who was fighting for dominance in my mouth.

"Mom...Dad" I said cautiously, feeling Zak wrap his arm around my waist.

"Get away from my daughter, boy." My dad's voice was low and stern. He stepped towards Zak and I quickly beat him to it.

"Dad, don't."Putting my hand on his chest to stop him.

"Son, I suggest you find your way out of my house before I get my gun."Eyeing Zak and showing no sign of humor.

Zak tensed and started to ease his arm away from me.

"Honey, you don't have a gun." My mom chimed in, looking confused. Okay, so my mom's a little dense.

"Well he didn't know that. Thanks Deb."

"Oops."

I laughed at my mother's stupidity.

"You are in no position to be laughing Annie. Would you care to explain why you're not at school and fooling around with this boy on my couch?"

"I..ummm.." I looked over to Zak and he seemed to start to relax.

"Sir, my name is Zak Stone." He held out his hand to shake but my dad ignored it and crossed his arms against his chest. "May we sit down and talk about this calmly." He pulled his hand back and placed his arms to his sides.

"I'm not sure you deserve that much respect boy. Mind I ask; how old are you?"

I gulped. Straight to the tough questions.

"24 sir." He glanced over at me and then back to my dad.

"GET YOUR ASS OUT OF MY HOUSE RIGHT NOW BEFORE I CALL THE COPS!!" My dad stormed over to the door and yanked it open.

"Dad!! Mom, please do something. We really need to talk about this." My eyes started to water.

My mom looked as if she was about to cry as well. She just glanced between me and Zak.

"Mr. Evans, I would really like to explain." He stepped towards him and gave him a pleading look.

My dad looked around the room at all of our faces.

"Mike, come on. Have a seat and let's hear him out." My mom sat down on the couch and padded the cushion next to her, sending my dad a comforting smile that didn't reach her worried eyes.

"I don't trust him Debra; I don't need to hear anything he has to say."

"Yeah, but you trust Annie."

Suddenly my dad's expression lightened. He walked over to my mom and sat down beside her.

"You have 10 minutes. Make it count."

A few tears escaped my eyes and Zak turned to me.

"Go get some water angel. Calm down." He wiped my tears away. "Everything's going to be okay."

I nodded and glared at my dad before turning on my heels.

I gulped down two full glasses of water before I entered the living room again.

They were sitting in complete silence and I took my place next to Zak on the smaller couch.

"Now that everyone is here, start explaining." My dad said. "Start with why you're not at school young lady."

"We were going to spend the day together." I simply said, looking down at my hands.

"Strike one; encouraging my daughter to skip school."