Chapter Forty

My heart skipped beats, just knowing this is something Zak would do. As I glanced around the auditorium, the lights flickered on more and people started mingling.

Intermission.

I let out a breath of sadness and looked over at Cara, knowing she thought it was the guys as well. She came over to me and placed her arm around my shoulder trying to ease the sadness that overcome me.

As we walked off stage, Greg came into view and Cara ran straight into his arms. He gave her a small kiss before looking at me with sad eyes.

“I’m sorry Annie, he missed it. He’s running late.”

My heart sunk in my chest and I shook my head. “Thanks Greg. I need to go to the restroom.” I smiled a fake smile and started to walk away.

“Annie..” Greg stopped me and slipped me a piece of paper. “He told me to give you this.”

I opened my hand to find a perfectly folded sticky note. I nodded once more and continued to the bathroom.

I didn’t know if I should be pissed off or sad. He has to have a good reason of being late. Zak would never miss my performance if it was up to him.

I opened a stall and locked the latch; leaning back against the door. I bit the inside of my cheek as I unfolded the piece of paper.

I scanned through it and relief washed through me.

‘You looked amazing out there angel. Smile, did you really think I’d miss it? Go find the guys in the front row, I saved you a seat.’

I seemed to breathe easier knowing he saw me sing the song for him.

I made my way out to the auditorium and found Corey and Chase sitting dead center with Greg and Cara right beside them. One seat was left in between the brothers and they motioned me over.

“Surprised?” Chase said, holding a bundle of tulips out for me.

“Oh you shouldn’t have!” I cooed and ruffled his swoopy hair.

He quickly fixed his hair and rolled his eyes. “You wish.”

An image of Zak filled my mind. “Nahh, I’m good!” As I took my seat, the lights faded and the principal came back to the stage.

Act after act went on and nothing exciting was really happening until the 22nd act left the stage and Greg and Corey jumped up.

They gave Chase a nod before quickly making their way behind stage.

Cara shifted a seat to close the distance between us and watched the duo on stage at the moment.

“Alright students and guests. Lastly we have our very own Zakary Stone accompanied by Greg and Corey.” Claps filled the room quickly as girls screamed with excitement.

I glanced around at the pathetic girls whispering and giggling over the thought of watching Zak sing. I felt a spark of jealousy creep up inside me, but the thought of knowing I’m the one he’s with shut that feeling up.

A stagehand pulled a mic and stool to the center of the stage and left quickly as Zak came jogging out, guitar in hand with a pick between those perfect lips.

He looked towards the audience and gave that smirk, raising his eyebrows at the screams. Goose bumps instantly rose on my arms and I smiled once his eyes found mine. For a split second, we exchanged a knowing look; the look that we have perfected over the school year to tell one another ‘I love you’.

He was in khakis and a polo; as he sat on the stool and positioned his guitar, he ran his fingers through his hair, making sure it was messy enough. He knows that drives me crazy because it’s so hot.