Chapter Twenty-Nine

I tore my eyes away from the face-sucking going down in Zak’s living room. It was pretty freaking awkward if you ask me. I didn’t expect our attempt to embarrass them would bring them closer.

Zak seemed to be in his own little world, watching the t.v. blink through silent commercials.

Cara moaned a little bit before jumping up.

“Cara?” Greg questioned as she stared at him wide-eyed.

She didn’t speak; she just grabbed my wrist, pulled me up and ran outside.

“What’s wrong?”

She started pacing the pavement in front of my house. “I…I…just kissed Greg.” She slapped her forehead with her palm.

“Actually, Greg kissed you.” I stated clearly.

“ANNIE! That’s not the point.” She plopped down on the curb and hid her face in her lap.

“I’m sorry.” I sat down beside her and rubbed her back. “What was so bad about it though? I thought you liked him?”

“I do. God I like him so much Annie. But let’s be for real. It’s Greg. He’s the player type. I’m not sure I want to get hurt again so soon.”

“I know. I could always talk to Zak and see what Greg thinks about the whole situation. Maybe you’ll be the girl he falls head over heels for!”

Her eyes seemed to glimmer with excitement. “Could you Annie? I really need to know before I jump into anything.”

“Of course.”

Zak’s POV

I watched the girls run outside and I jerked my head back to Greg. He sat on the floor, staring at the chair where Cara was sitting a few seconds ago.

“You okay man?” I shifted to the edge of the sofa cushion.

He laughed a sarcastic laugh and shook his head ‘no’, closing his eyes. “This is why I don’t get feelings involved anymore.”

He stood up and pinched the bridge of his nose. All of a sudden he dashed into the kitchen, banging the cabinets.

“Where’s the vodka Zak?”

I got up and followed him. I knew it was bad, but this bad?

“I don’t have any.”

He slammed his fist down onto the kitchen counter.

“Dude, just calm down.” I said forcefully.

“Fuck you, I just got rejected from the first girl I let myself have feelings for…since Emma.” He yanked out a chair from under the table and sat down.

I haven’t heard him speak of Emma in over a year now. They were high school sweethearts, or so everyone thought. Come to find out 90 percent of their time together, she was cheating on him with any and every guy she came in contact with.

“Emma corrupted your mind man. She did you wrong and you’ve been taking it out on every single girl in your path since. Well Cara is different. She doesn’t want to get attached to you because let’s face it; you haven’t been a complete gentleman and you come off like a player.”

“But I wasn’t going to hurt Cara. I really like her.”

“She doesn’t know that. Look, maybe you just need to talk to her privately and explain what’s going on. Maybe tell her about Emma so she’ll understand your tough exterior.”