[Chapter 15] Forget This Ever Happened

-Anthony's POV-

Kalel and Joey both sat up and looked back at me. Kalel's eyes widened as Joey's wandered down to his lap. "Anthony, it's not..."

"It's not what!?!" I yelled at her, throwing my left hand in Joey's direction, "I came home and saw you lying in some other man's arms!"

She rose to her feet and walked around the couch, "Anthony, he just came over to watch a movie. You've got to believe me when I say nothing happened."

I crossed my arms over my chest, "No." I never really liked Joey. I always felt like he didn't want me to be with Kalel. And I guess things kind of just worked out that I didn't want him being with her either.

"He's my friend, Anthony," Kalel argued, "Is it so wrong that I hung out with him?" Before I could give my input, she continued, "Anyways, you were out with your friends all day! So why couldn't I hang out with mine?"

"Because he's not just a friend, Kalel. Haven't you noticed? He likes you! As in more than a friend!" I shouted, hoping to throw him under the bus and embarrass the shit out him.

But instead, he butted into our conversation and saying, "I already told her." I looked over at him in shock. "Yeah, you heard me," He remarked, making his way around the couch, "And guess what? She loves me back." I turned towards Kalel. She looked down at her feet.

"What does he mean 'she loves me back'?" I questioned her.

"Anthony, I..."

I clenched my fists and spun around so I was facing Joey, "Get the fuck out of my house. I have some stuff to discuss with my fiance," I growled. He nodded his head in understanding and scurried out of the house, daring to say goodbye to Kalel. She waved at him in response as I slammed the door behind him.

"I can explain, Anthony..." Kalel mumbled under her breath as she glanced up at me.

"Explain to me what?" I retorted in a much calmer tone than when I talked to Joey. "Explain to me that my fiance thinks it's okay to tell another man she loves him? You're marrying me, Kalel. Not Joey. You should be telling me you love me."

"I love you, Anthony," She interrupted me.

I shook my head, "You should be falling asleep in my arms."

"You're never home!" She cried, her eyes starting to water, "And when you are, all you do is sit on your stupid laptop or computer for hours on end! I can't even remember the last time we went on a date!"

I didn't say anything. I couldn't remember either.

"So sorry if I invited one of my friends over," She added, "I just miss having you home sometimes." Now I felt terrible. "I didn't mean to fall asleep in his arms, okay? It was a big mistake and I'm sorry."

I scratched behind my head and swallowed hard, "No, I'm the one who's sorry..."

She sighed, "Let's just forget this ever happened, okay?" I nodded my head in agreement and she grinned. "So," She said, walking back around the couch and sitting down. I plopped down next to her, "How was your day at the beach?"

-Ian's POV-

I was driving to Melanie's place. I was shaking and drenched in sweat - I was nervous as hell. I had to call off this engagement. I wasn't ready. And now knowing that Natalie likes me back, I was most definitely not ready. I was just nervous Melanie would be distraught once I told her. And I hate seeing her upset.

I pulled into her driveway and saw that someone else's car was parked in her driveway. I didn't really think any of it at the time.

I heaved a big sigh before getting out of the car and walking up to her door. While I made my way up the hallway, I practiced what I was going to tell her.

"Melanie, I love you, but I'm just... Nah, she won't like that. Melanie, I don't know how to tell you this, but I'm just not... No, that one's even worse. What about... Hey, babe. How's it going? I have something to tell you. It's about us. Ugh! That's terrible!" I had no more time to practice - I was at her door.

I rose my hand and knocked three times. "Hey Melanie!" I called, "It's Ian!"

I heard some shuffling before the door swung open. I smiled when I saw Melanie. She was wearing one of my sweatshirts and her hair was pulled up into a messy bun. She grinned when she saw me, "Hey, Ian. What are you doing here? It's...it's..."

"It's almost noon," I answered her with a slight laugh, "I actually need to talk to you about something. About us."

Her smile dissolved, "What do you mean 'about us'?"

"May I come in?" I inquired.

"No," She snapped at me. I raised my eyebrow in confusion, "It's a little messy right now." She added with uncertainty as she stepped outside, closing the door behind her. I noticed that she was missing bottoms. I was going to ask her why, but she continued with, "What do you want to talk about?"

"Uh...I..." I stammered as I scratched behind my neck, "I actually want to talk about us getting married." She crossed her arms over her chest, "I'm not ready, Melanie. I mean, I love you. I really do. But I just...I'm not ready to get married."

I was expecting her to burst into tears or to yell at me. But instead, she sighed, "Yeah, I'm...I'm not really ready either. I'm sorry for urging on you to do that. It wasn't right of me and I feel really bad about it."

"Wait...you're not upset?" I questioned, confused.

She shrugged her shoulders, "No, not really. I mean, yeah, it sucks that we're not going to get married, but...how about we just forget it ever happened?"

I slowly nodded my head, "Yeah...sure..."

"Great," She remarked, kissing me on the cheek, "Now I need to get back to cleaning, so if you don't mind..."

"Yeah, right," I started making my way back to the car when I stopped in my tracks and called back to her, "Hey! How about you and I go on a date? This time with no interruptions!" I suggested with a laugh.

She smiled and nodded her head. I grinned and turned back around.

-Melanie's POV-

I heaved a sigh as I leaned up against the front door. I was kind of glad Ian called off the engagement. I mean, I couldn't bring myself to marry him now that I cheated on him, even if it was only out of drunkenness. Or so I'll try to convince myself and everyone who finds out.

I walked back into the bedroom hallway and saw Toby still sleeping in my bed. I walked in and sat down on the edge, looking back at him. His eyes fluttered open and he covered his eyes, "What time is it?" He mumbled through his hands.

"Noon," I answered.

He looked up at me and shot straight up, "What am I doing in your bed, Melanie?"

I tilted my head down and folded my hands in my lap, "Crazy story..."