Not Her

"He's here again." Your friend whispered as you hurried out of the lab you'd been in, following her gaze to the group of Dauntless that had gathered on the floor below.

You smiled when he glanced up at you, smirking as he shook his head, turning his attention back to whoever was showing him around.

"You want me to cover so you can sneak out?" Your friend asked when they started to move though the building and Eric threw a glance at you.

"Thanks." You whispered, hurrying to the usual spot.

Eric grabbed you by your waist, lifting you up to pin you slightly against the wall as he kissed you patiently. His head fell to the crook of your neck as his hands fisted into your uniform, body relaxing slightly into you, as he nuzzled into you a little.

"Eric what's wrong?" You asked when he didn't let go.

"Nothing... just I missed you, I wish you'd come with me." He muttered, pulling away so he could look at you.

"Eric, I wouldn't have been any good in Dauntless." You mumbled, making him smile as he stroked your cheek.

"I could have helped you." he muttered, both of you freezing when someone hurried past.

"I like it here, and who says you don't help me." You smiled, kissing him as he looked down at you.

"We're here to test you all... we're looking for Divergents." Eric mumbled, giving you a guilty look when you shook your head.

"Of course, you are." You sighed, taking a moment before pulling the front of Eric's jacket so you could lean up and kiss him.

"I'm sorry." He muttered, stroking your cheek as he stepped away. "We have to stop this, I should have stopped it when I left but I..." He trailed off with a long deep sighed before leaving you alone in your hiding place without a backwards glance.

******************************************************

"Eric, you missed one." Max pointed at you, drawing all the attention to you.

"Right." He muttered, crushing down and holding the machine out.

You both held your breath, Eric's eyes wondering your face as he waited, the free hand that was bent over his leg brushed against the soft skin of your arm as if on instinct.

"No... the machines wrong." Eric muttered when it came up with a reading.

"The machine doesn't get anything wrong, do it again it will have the same answer." Max sighed as he waited for Eric to do the test again.

"No Max it's wrong she isn't one of them... not her." He whispered the last part like he was begging for a last breath.

"Eric." You mumbled but you weren't sure what to say.

"It's broken find another way to test her." Eric demanded, throwing the one in his hand hard against the wall, causing it to shatter.