Balance

Eric struggled against whoever had taken him. His face was still covered. The last he remembered Four was coming for him and this, didn't seem the way Four would attack.

"Put him in here." A gentle voice said. It was one he remembered, familiar and soothing. He stopped fighting as he was brought to his knees and a door shut. Whatever was covering his head was pulled away and he winced at the sudden light, it filled his eyes, making his head ache as he adjusted to it.

"Eric?" You asked gently.

"(Y/N). Isn't it wrong for you to be saving me?"

"Why?"

"You ran away to amity, didn't you. Thought you'd follow after me like always and head straight to Dauntless." He smirked up at you. Though you'd uncovered his face the restraints around his wrists and ankles were still tight. Though being moved from wherever Four had him had given him enough slack that if he tried for a few hours he was confident he could get loose.

"You followed me around. Not the other way around." You said firmy and Eric shrugged.

"For an Erudite you were always smart, going against four and the leaders... breaking all of Amity's rules. Doesn't seem smart."

"It is in the long run of things." You answered quickly.

"So what do you do with me now?" He asked and grinned when you rolled your eyes.

"I haven't decided yet. I have a lot of options."

"Two options. Maybe three."

You'd turned away from Eric but now as he spoke you turned to listen. He was right, you were smart but this had been an emotional oversight. Furthermore you'd managed to band together your own band of rebels and you really had no idea what to do, other than hide away and complain. You'd gotten good at vanishing away supplies and sharing them out. That wouldn't help you for long.

"Three?"

"You give me to Erudite and your group is spared for cooperating. You hand me back to Four, he does what he does and your group joins them."

"That's only two." You turned to face him fully as he spoke and he smiled. A soft smile you'd only seen in his younger days.

"With the right supplies, weapons, someone could get pretty far into the wild out there. No factions at all, just them and survival."

"That's ridiculous."

"Is it? Weren't you the one that said small groups should be sent out to make smaller cities before this one was in riot. It's in riot now."

"Which means it's too late to change. Besides. I'd have to do one of the other two options to get the supplies I'd need for your third one. So it's still only two."

"But if you let me help you..."

"You abandon anyone that asks you for help."

"Oh come on! You're still upset? You left Erudite too."

"You left first."

Eric didn't answer. He smiled to himself and shook his head. He remembered seeing you deciding your faction. You were only a year and a half younger than him but you'd always been close. He'd held his breath, watching you so carefully everyone around didn't exist. You were a fighter and he'd hoped you'd join him. But instead you chose Amity. It wasn't where your test told you to go and he knew it. The last he saw of you was the glimpse you sent towards Dauntless as you were swallowed by a sea of grey, welcoming you to Amity. He often wondered if you'd seen him among the crowd. Could you even pick him out the way he could find you. Years went by and you seemed to no longer recognise him if you passed in the street.

But now you were here with him kneeling on the floor, waiting to see if you'd send him to his death or set him free. "Were you angry? When I went to Amity?"

"It wasn't my choice."

"But were you angry?"
"Yes, no... I was... younger and..."

"Arrogant, selfish, cruel?" You stepped closer, grabbing him by the collar of his jacket so he had to straighten his back and lean away from you to look up at you. "That's what they say you are now."

"Why does that bother you so much?"

"Because..." You trailed off. Your ferocity was snuffed out like a candle in a blizzard. He started to smile. The smile that you hated. It had only every followed mischief and bad ideas.

"You think you made me like this? Is that what this is?" He smiled as he spoke. Before you could stop him he'd grabbed the front of your shirt, yanking you so your weight as leant on your hands, still clutching his collar. The two of you balanced so carefully if one moved you'd both fall. "Am I the reason you ran away to Amity? Were you upset I didn't stay?"

"I help people, I don't hurt them."

"Help people. That was your plan wasn't it? Both go to Dauntless. Grow in power and fight for everyone. But it wasn't me going with you to Dauntless and it wasn't me that got to help you. Some Erudite girl and you want me to stay behind for you. Your Erudite messenger boy."

"That was just big talk from a kid. I didn't know what I was talking about then. It isn't that simple." As you spoke you found your feet and pushed against his shoulders, looking down at him. "Besides. Things are very different now aren't they."

You lent in and felt Eric use his clutch on your shirt to move himself to meet you. Your lips brushed his and you could hear the way his breath hitched. "This is a game of survival now." You said softly and stepped away, yanking yourself from his grip.

"Hey!" you shouted as you opened the door. "Take him to the basement. Guard him. Let's see who wants him the most."

"Wait! (Y/N)!" Eric shouted. Unlike before he didn't fight. He was compliant. As he was dragged through the room he saw the men, women and children that you were protecting. The building must have been filled with families looking for shelter. "(Y/N), I can help you. Let me help you!" He shouted as he was dragged towards a door that led down a dark, dank metal staircase.

"Don't worry Eric. You will." You assured him as the door shut between the two of you.