How Do You Do It?

Lauren stared at the wall opposite from her, lost in thought. Something was bothering her. I could tell.

"You okay?" I asked, and Lauren looked at me, frowning.

"Huh?"

I sighed and put my phone down, turning to her. "Something's on your mind. What is it?"

Lauren bit her lip and looked away. "Well, uh..." She took a deep breath and looked back up at me. "How do you do it?"

I furrowed my eyebrows. "Do what?"

"How do you cope with... well..."

I still hadn't caught on.

"What I'm trying to say is, how do you deal with your feelings? How do you deal with knowing I don't feel the same way? How do you not hate me for it?" She asked.

"Because I love you. I am in love with you. A part of me always has been, since I met you. I didn't realize it back then, but I did. When you love someone... nothing they do changes your mind about your feelings. Once you fall in love, there's no falling out. Nobody truly does. It doesn't matter who you're in love with. You'd do anything for them. It doesn't matter how much they'd hurt you. I'm in constant pain everyday. Seeing you everyday kills me inside," I say.

"Then why do you deal with it? Why do you allow yourself to go through it?"

"Because no matter what anyone says or does... I can't help it. I want to be around you, despite how much it hurts."

"How could you not hate me for the pain I cause you?" Lauren asked.

"No matter how badly I want to hate you, I can't. It's not really your fault things are this way. You didn't ask for me to fall for you," I answered.

Lauren looked down, a guilty look forming on her face. "I'm sorry, Camila."

"It's okay."