Just Venting

Lauren lay in the darkness of her bedroom, unsure of how to feel. Just six months ago, she was able to sleep without any problem. It was rare for her to stay up any later than midnight, because she always managed to fall asleep soundly, knowing that the next day, she was just one day closer to being able to spend the rest of her life with the one person she loved the most. 

Now, every night, all she could do was lay there, letting the darkness soak into her soul as her sanity slipped away slowly but surely. 

She had always thought the worst pain she had ever felt and would ever feel came from the moment she sprained her ankle in third grade after school. She would always remember that day. 

- - - - - - - -

Lauren ran down the hallway toward the exit, eager to get to the playground so she could be the first one to get one of the red rubber balls before the other children took them all. After grabbing a ball, she raced to a handball court and watched as three other kids came over.

"Can we play?" The fifth grade girl Lauren knew as "Ally" asked.

The green-eyed girl nodded and the three other girls smiled happily as they lined up to ply against the winner of the match. Ally stood beside Lauren as the younger girl hit the ball, sending it flying across the court toward the wall. It bounced off and Ally went to hit it back. The girls went back and forth, taking turns hitting the ball, both trying to hit it hard enough so the other messes up somehow. Ally accidentally hit the ball over the court, and Lauren sighed. 

"I'll get it!" they both yelled, and took off running to retrieve their ball.They reached the ball at the same time though, and Ally accidentally bumped into the younger girl, causing her to lose her balance. A sickening 'crack' was heard, followed by a cry of pain. 

Lauren was now on the ground, gripping her ankle as tears streamed down her face. Ally dropped the ball the moment she realized Lauren was hurt. The other two girls appeared behind Ally. 

"What happened?" The taller one asked, and Ally scanned the playground for any adults. Around thirty feet away was one of the second grade teachers, monitoring her class and making sure they stayed in line until they were allowed to go play. 

"Go get the teacher!" Ally commanded, and the two girls did just that. 

The girls dragged the teacher over and he knelt down beside the younger girl. "Are you okay? What happened here?"

Through her tears, Lauren repeatedly sobbed out the words "It hurts. It hurts so badly."

He turned to Ally for an answer. "We were playing handball, and we both went to get the ball. We bumped into each other, and then she fell and got hurt," she explained.

The teacher nodded and directed his attention back to the injured child before him. "It's okay. You'll be alright, I promise. Now let's get you to the nurse. She'll be able to help." Ally helped Lauren up, and the teacher helped get her to the nurse's office.

- - - - - - - -

Lauren bitterly chuckled to herself. At the time, a sprained ankle seemed like the worst possible thing to happen to her. She would gladly take not just one sprained ankle, but two, if it meant she didn't have to feel this anger and frustration and emotional pain anymore.