Elevator

"Yeah, yeah, I'm on my way, Mani. Leaving my apartment as we speak," Lauren said as she went through her purse for her keys.

"You better be. We're two blocks away," Normani replied and hung up before Lauren could say anything else.

Lauren had planned to go out to lunch with her best friends, Ally and Normani. She'd woken up from her nap late and they were supposed to pick her up in 5 minutes.

Lauren found her keys and made her way out the door. She slowed down when she got to the stairwell, wondering if she should go that way. She remembered how creepy it was though and decided against it. Lauren would rather be late than possibly die in a creepy stairwell.

When Lauren finally got to the elevator, she pressed the button which opened the doors and stepped inside.

Just as the doors were closing, an arm shot through the gap, stopping it. A shorter brunette girl walked in, looking slightly anxious. She flashed Lauren a quick and awkward smile, and pressed the button that would bring them down to the lobby.

The doors closed and the elevator began slowly going down. Lauren watched the small screen that stated which floor they were on.

10... 9... 8...

Lauren looked at the girl. She was really pretty. She had big brown eyes, long and shiny light brown hair, a really nice jawline... Lauren looked away before she could be caught staring.

7... 6...

She noticed the girl seemed to be nervous about something. She was biting her lip and drumming her fingers on her thigh. She kept glancing down at her watch, silently wishing the elevator would move faster. She obviously had somewhere to be.

5... 4... 3...

A loud noise was heard and the elevator started shaking.

"W-what's happening?" The girl asked, panic clear in her voice.

"I don't know..." Lauren answered, grabbing on to the railing.

The elevator stopped shaking after about 30 seconds and it was silent again. Lauren looked at the screen. They seemed to be stuck on the third floor.

'Well fuck,' Lauren thought.

"Are we stuck?" The girl asked.

"It seems like we are."

"Oh, no... I have somewhere I need to be!" She complained.

"Me too," Lauren said.

Lauren looked around and then realized there was a button that they could press if something like this happened. Lauren pressed it, and waited to see what happened.

It didn't seem to do anything.

"Fuck," Lauren mumbled.

"Crap, I don't have any signal!" The girl cried as she stared down at her phone.

Lauren checked her phone. No bars.

"It'll be okay. Someone will find us. Someone is gonna realize what happened and they're gonna send help," Lauren said and the girl sighed and sat down.

"But how long will that take?" She asked.

"I'm not sure, but it'll happen soon. I know it."

The girl sighed and looked up at Lauren. "Guess while we're stuck here we might as well get to know each other, huh?"

Lauren smiled. "Yeah." She sat down beside the girl. "My name is Lauren."

"I'm Camila. Nice to meet you, Lauren."