twenty nine

Tiago Costello looked up from her phone screen, worry covering her features and desperateness shivering through her bones

Tiago Costello looked up from her phone screen, worry covering her features and desperateness shivering through her bones. She looked down at her iPhone one last time, before stuffing it into her back pocket.

First, it had been the massive ship. It was dark purple, and had just loomed over the Californian city menacingly.

Then the wormhole– as her friend had called– had opened. Tiago thought more Galran ships were arriving, and as much as she wanted to dig a hole and stick her head in it like an ostrich, she couldn't help but watch.

Instead of more battle ships coming out of the swirling vortex, something else slowly pulled out.

Her friend, Hunk, had called it a castle. She had heard the Paladins mention a Princess Allura before, but what kind royalty ruled over a castle with lasers? Apparently Alteans.

Now the castle was charging up to fire at the Galran ship. But, the enemy had already been saving up the energy for a hit, and striked the castle before she could blink.

The laser was large, slamming into one of the castle's boosters.

At first Tiago thought they were doomed, but of course, she had underestimated the good guys. Maybe she was too used to the puny weapons Earth harbored.

From the corner of her eye, she could see the flashes of cameras from the college students, and people were shouting with pure disbelief. She didn't take her eyes off of the sky.

Suddenly, a light blue and transparent barrier enclosed itself around the castle, blocking off every blow from the Galra. Five large slots opened at the high points of the castle, and Tiago stumbled back with surprise.

They were... lions. Actual, robot lions. She had argued with Lance and Pidge for a whole day about how they couldn't possibly be piloting flying cats. For a split second, all she could think about was how she owed both the paladins ten bucks.

Black, blue, red, green, and yellow. That was the color of the lions. She knew which Paladin was in which Lion, obviously. Her eyes immediately flicked to the yellow and blue ones, which were side by side, and she grinned with the thought of Hunk and Lance whooping with excitement inside.

They were in the middle of the small fleet. Behind them, trailing along, was the Green Lion. Sometimes the Lion would jerk, making Tiago think Pidge was most likely working on a machine or something in the heat of battle.

It was very unlikely, but the college girl enjoyed the thought.

In front of Lance, who was now ahead of Hunk, was the Red Lion. It flew steadily, the pilot being one of the best of his generation. Who knew Keith could be so graceful.

And of course, the Black Lion was leading the pride. Tiago could imagine the determination in Shiro's eyes, yet feel the worry radiating off of him. Everyone knew leaders always cared about their team more than anything.

The five attacked the Galran ship with ferocity, and an intensity that made the students behind her quiet down. It didn't surprise her that she was able to hear them from outside the college, for there were literal aliens fighting to the death in the clouds.

But now they were deadly silent, as a soft breeze flew by as a small explosion rocked through her bones.

The Lions looked like flies, nicking at the ship before buzzing away. They seemed experienced, targeting specific areas that damaged the ship immensely.

The first time Tiago screamed was when the back end of the battle ship exploded into oblivion. She snuggled her face into the crook of her elbow, protecting her eyes from the light intensity.

She could hear more explosions, like a chain reaction, that shook her off her feet and onto the dry grass.

Then it was silent.

After a few moments of deep breaths, she peeked over her arm. Only four of the Lions were still where the Galran ship once stood. They floated midair, the Paladins inside most likely taking a breather after the battle.

The fifth Lion was heading straight for her. Tiago scrambled to her feet as it touched down about half of a football field away from her, among the poinsettias the college's gardeners had planted just two weeks before.

The Lion's mouth opened, and Tiago stared in amazement as the Yellow Paladin stepped out of his Lion.

Tiago Costello had only seen Hunk Garrett's face once, in the picture she had sent him nearly three months ago. But seeing it at that moment, physically, seemed so surreal. Every text message she had sent or received came rushing through her mind, trampling down any insecurities she had ever felt about conversing with a complete wackjob.

At least, she thought he had been a wackjob. All the way until Lance messaged her, supporting all of Hunk's words about aliens and lions and being the defenders of the universe.

That first notification she had received changed her life for the better, and she didn't fully come to terms with it until the Yellow Paladin made his first step back onto Earth in a long time.

Because of Hunk, Tiago's whole viewpoint on life had changed, and for once in her life she had confidence in herself. Because of him she had made it in life, and had gotten into engineering college, despite being in Special Ed and being held back so many times.

Maybe he was the reason she was still alive.

If you were to ask her in ten, even twenty years in the future what she had done, Tiago would tell you she doesn't remember. Or at least, how she had got there.

Her legs were a blur, and the poinsettias crumbled under her feet.

Hunk had stumbled back, surprised, tense at the touch of the girl's arms around him. Tiago didn't let go, either. She absolutely refused.

It took at least half a minute for Hunk's mind to register what had happened, but eventually he loosened his muscles and tightly snaked his arms around his friend.

Tiago dug her face into his chest, ignoring how scratched up and dirty his armor was, and kept her eyes squeezed shut. Sobs started to rack her body.

Hunk closed his eyes, and placed his chin on the top of Tiago's black hair.

"Are you alright?" He hummed, rubbing her back. It was as if they had hugged a million times before.

"Thank you," was all Tiago could muster.