thirty

Tiago had begun to realize just how stupid she looked when she heard the other lions touch down

Tiago had begun to realize just how stupid she looked when she heard the other lions touch down. It wasn't the tears, those had already slowed minutes ago, but instead it was the way she was desperately hugging Hunk, a guy she had never met face to face before this day.

Then she realized how stupid that thought was when Hunk squeezed her one last time, before letting someone else pull her away. At first Tiago was going to cry out in protest, but it fizzled out when the person spoke.

"C'mon, Hunk, don't take the lady all for yourself!"

Tiago pulled back a bit from the stranger's arms just so she could see their face. They had short brown hair and tan skin, making the college girl smile.

"Lance? I—"

"No, no," the Blue Paladin soothed, pulling her back tightly into his hug. "Don't say my name, you might faint."

"Still bad at flirting, Purple Paladin," Tiago chuckled airly, tears falling once again. Lance scoffed playfully but continued to pat her back comfortingly. "I can teach you."

Tiago pulled away from the hug and rubbed at the corner of her eyes, flicking away the liquid they produced.

Lance wiggled his eyebrows, saying, "Oh, in what room?"

Tiago punched his shoulder as hard she could, making him laugh and lose a bit of balance. Despite the duo's playful and carefree attitudes, the two deeply cared for one another, and had to credit one another for sad days turned good.

In fact, in that moment, Tiago remembered the day where she had told Hunk that she might not make it into college. Lance messaged her a few hours later, most likely getting the news from the Yellow Paladin, and didn't even mention the reason she was so distressed.

Instead he swooped in with a cheesy pickup line, and they talked for hours on end with only smiles on their faces.

"Hey, not to cut this short, but where's Pidge?" Tiago asked, rubbing at her arm. Lance's eye fell dull, and Tiago immediately felt horrible for asking the question. She inhaled sharply, and quickly grabbed at his elbow with an apparent ferocity. "No, it's not– I didn't– I just need to thank her! Y'know, for helping me with the whole math thing?"

"Oh, right!" Lance nodded. His eyes brightened back up a bit, and Tiago's grip became loose. "She's over by Keith."

Tiago looked to where he gestured, and sure enough the Green and Red Lions were parked next to one another, with their pilots conversing. A twinge of pride went through her heart, despite the fact she did nothing to make the Paladins who they were.