9 Months Later - 25

I apologize for the wait, this was my last week before finals for one of my courses and that took up a majority of my time. I have finished and I hope everyone loves this chapter as much as I do, enjoy.

I rolled over feeling the warmth from sunlight on my face through the window. I opened my eyes and saw Damon sleeping soundly next to me, I couldn’t believe it. I had half expected to wake up and last night to have been a dream. I still couldn’t believe he was here, next to me after all this time. I quietly got out of bed being careful not to disturb his slumber. Damon looked like he hadn’t slept in weeks, I knew that was my fault and I didn’t want to disturb him. I tip toed to the door and shut it gently behind me. I then made my way down the hall to Lena’s room. I didn’t hear her yet but I wanted to make sure she was asleep and not awake in her crib.

I slowly opened the door that led to her room and saw that Lena was indeed awake and sitting up in her crib. I opened the door farther and walked inside.

            “Good morning.” I said while walking to her crib. “Are you ready to get out of bed?” At the sound of my voice Lena turned around and smiled, quickly standing up in bed. She squealed excitedly and I bent over to grab her. I didn’t fight with her when she decided that she wanted to stay in her pajamas all day. I would just wait a few hours before getting her ready for the day. I carried her down the stairs and placed her in her chair with some crayons and a paper to color with. After I placed Lena’s milk cup on her tray I began to make my way around the kitchen. I watched Lena color as I began to stir the pancake batter. She still had bed head and was in her candy cane footy pajamas, she was absolutely precious.

            Lena and I talked about her picture and sang a few songs while she waited for breakfast to be made. I had decided to make sausages and eggs to go with them. It was Lena’s favorite breakfast, not to mention it had been a few weeks since I had made it for her. I made a small plate for Lena and then one for me. We were half way through our meal when I heard footsteps coming through the living room. I looked up at the archway and saw Dante coming into the kitchen with a box under his arm.

            Lena squeaked with delight at the sight of him and began to demand for her surprise. Dante had told Lena she had to wait until she was finished eating. I laughed while they talked, Lena tried to get him to give her the present the entire time she ate. Her reasoning was hysterical.

            “Lena, you’ve only got a few more bites left. I think you can finish it.” Dante said before taking a bite from the plate he had made. I wanted to ask Dante if he knew that Damon had arrived last night but I didn’t want to spoil the surprise for Lena when Damon woke up. I knew she would be excited to see him, she asked about him all the time.