9 Months Later -9

When we got back to James's place he parked in the garage and stopped for a minute.

"Want to talk about it?"

"Not right now." I said quietly and got out of the car heading upstairs.

I immediately went in search of Lena. I found her and cradled in Dante's arms.

"Here you go." He said gently placing her in my arms with a soft smile.

"Thanks." I said and excused myself. I wanted to give her a bath; they were times when I felt close to her. And she actually enjoyed water and sometimes squealed in delight when it tickled her bare skin. I remember the first time James and I had attempted to give her a bath, it hadn't gone to well and we both wound up wetter than Lena was. She had kicked and cried until I just couldn't take her tears anymore and had taken her out of the water and held her close to my heart whispering in her ears and rocking her back and forth to soothe her from the somewhat traumatic experience. I don't know who it was more traumatic for though; me or her. James had convinced me she'd adjust to taking baths and not fight as much with the more she was exposed to it and he turned out to be right.

"Dante could you give me a hand real quick?" I questioned as I entered the hall.

"Actually I was just about to leave and head to uh work." He said raising a hand to scratch the back of his head.

"Okay never mind then." I said smiling at him to let him know it was truly okay.

"See you guys." I said waving as they moved towards the door.

"Bye" Dante called as only he left. When Damon turned around and headed in my direction I guess my assumption of them both leaving had been wrong.

"I can help though."

"Sure." I said. "Follow me." And I headed into the bathroom.

"Can you reach into the closet and grab her blue bath tub. Its got the raised seat in it." I said clarifying what I needed him to reach since I wasn't tall enough to grab it while still holding Lena. He grabbed it and placed it in the tub.

"Thanks. Hold her a minute?" I said as I was already passing her to him. He took her without question and I started to run the water. I went under the sink and grabbed a soft washcloth, her baby soap, and the stick on thermometer that changed colors when the water was to cold (blue) just right (green) or too hot (red). I placed it under the water and watched it go red first after a few seconds. I adjust the temperature and slowly it turned green. I filled her tub up a bit and placed the washcloth and soap on the edge of the tub.

I stood up to take Lena so I could take off her outfit and give her a bath. But when I turned around Damon and Lena were no longer in the small bathroom.

"Damon?" I called walking out and rolling my sleeves up.

"Here, she's all ready for bath time." He said passing me Lena in nothing but a diaper. "Well almost ready." He finished. I smiled and took her from his hands accidentally brushing my fingertips along his. It was almost a pleasant shock that sent shivers up my spine when it happened, even if it was for a split second. I felt it.

"Thanks." I said stepping back to close the door. I smiled and looked down at Lena who stared back up at me with big bright eyes. Her little fingers were grasping their opposites and she was pulling them apart and back together.

"Bath time." I whispered and took her diaper off dropping it in the trashcan.

I placed her in the bath water and grabbed the handled cup I used to pour water over her lower half. I filled it up half way and held it just below her sternum and laughed as her eyes widened and she smiled from ear to ear as the water ran along her tiny body. She started kicking at the water around her feet and giggling uncontrollably. It was a pleasure giving her baths now that she enjoyed them. I leaned forward and kissed her forehead getting the tips of my hair wet in the process. It didn't matter though. Not as long as Lena was smiling and happy, unaware of all the problems and distress in the world surrounding her. I washed her slowly; enjoying this time we had together shut off from the world. When I was done a grabbed a towel and wrapped her up tightly to keep the cold air from touching her bare skin.