Chapter 3: Judges, Lawyers and Prostitutors ... Oh Myyyy

Phoenix Wright and Miles Edgeworth
Edgeworth's Penthouse, Los Angeles
June 21, 2034

That piteous, yet tormenting, screech made Phoenix's heart leap in his throat and adrenaline course through his veins, putting him on high alert. He caught a quick glimpse of his own dread mirrored on Edgeworth's face as they remained rooted on the spot a split-second, both momentarily paralyzed with panic.

Edgeworth was the first to recover.

The Chief Prosecutor turned and bolted down the hallway leading to the bedrooms, with an impressive swiftness which surpassed that of a frantic Cancun tourist who'd consumed the local water, and was seeking a lavatory.

Hot on his heels, Phoenix dashed behind, Ace still in his arms, his limbs tingling and panicked brain racing in the most unhelpful way. Even after all the years of preparation, and actually experiencing his fourth year as a father, the reality was still alien. In the familiar courtroom Phoenix knew so well, he didn't ever have to think about his surroundings; he went from A to B on autopilot, able to focus on the "problem du jour." But with parenthood, there was no such thing as same old; absolutely nothing was familiar, every day was a new adventure.

Right now, without Maya's reassuring presence to keep a reign on things, his mind kept handing him nightmare what-ifs about the anticipated perilous situation both fathers had heard, but had yet to actually see.

Generally, Phoenix had never known Edgeworth to have been the anxious type. After all the strife the other man had endured in his life, he was known to be ever-composed. Many times, in situations that would have had most other people fraught with anxiety, the austere prosecutor even appeared to be more laid-back than a Sombrero-sporting Mexican on his day off.

But now, as the friends reached Mila's room where the scream had originated from, Phoenix noted that his best friend had a look in his eye that, in the three decades he'd known him, he'd never once seen on Miles Edgeworth. It not only didn't belong on the prosecutor's face, it actually scared him; after all, he'd always counted on Edgeworth to be the one who always knew what to do.

"Wahhhh! I want my Mommy!" Was wailed yet again, now accompanied by bawling.

So do I, Edgeworth thought frantically, looking over at his spiky-haired companion. In this discomfort, I can feel my irritability increase and the logic of my actions decrease, as if they're locked into some inverse relationship...

The defense attorney set Ace down on the floor with a near thud, then bent over double, hands on his knees, struggling to regulate his breathing as his brain tried to process that the harrowing scene they were witnessing was actually real and not from some bad comedy/B-rated horror movie!

I want my Maya.

The room began to twirl around Phoenix as he took in the chaotic scene. He closed his eyes, but found the spinning sensation only worsened.

"Wright!" Edgeworth's harsh warning tone dragged him back to reality. "Don't you dare even think about fainting!"

_________________________________________

Franziska Von Edgeworth, Maya Fey Wright,

Maggey Gumshoe, Adrian Andrews and Ema SkyeThe Ball Room, Los Angeles

"Fainting isn't uncommon in these scenarios apparently," Maggey giggled, taking a sip of The Ball Room's signature drink, The Fanny Bagger. "But the doctor did kick Dick out of the room after that. Just as well, since Gordy wound up being 11 lbs and I ended up needing a caesarian anyway! Can you imagine if I'd needed to push that Bullwinkle head out of me? My hoo-ha would have never recovered!"