Chapter 7: A Time to Kill

Phoenix Wright and Miles Edgeworth
Edgeworth's Penthouse, Los Angeles

There was a hushed silence from Edgeworth and the children as five sets of anxious eyes fixated on the defense attorney, whose fingers were trembling as he held the cell phone to his ear.

"H-hello?" He swallowed hard and tried to keep his voice steady, even as he felt beads of sweat forming by his temples.

"Hey, Mr. Wright! How's it going? Are you and Mr. Edgeworth watching that John Grisham movie A Time to Kill? It's on TV tonight!"

A Time to Kill? Otherwise known as anytime should our wives ever find out about the series of unfortunate events that transpired tonight?!

"A-Apollo?" Phoenix's knees literally sagged beneath him, such was the weight of his respite, as he flopped down on the sofa between the twins and Ace as limply as a rag doll. The sound of his subordinate's voice on the other end of the line, instead of the anticipated suspicious and disapproving one of his wife, made him feel as if he'd just gotten the world's biggest reprieve!

Around him, Edgeworth and the children gave a collective sigh of relief as well.

"Yeah, Mr. Wright, don't you remember?" Apollo sounded surprised. "Earlier today at the office, you said that since your wives were going out, you and Mr. Edgeworth would babysitting tonight at his place and would shuffle the kids off to bed early and that afterwards, your game plan was to relax and check out that movie. I said I'd do the same, and we were going to compare notes at work, and laugh our butts off at all the dumb Hollywood courtroom and legal inaccuracies in it!"

Take it easy? Phoenix rubbed his aching forehead with his free hand. Did I actually say that? Moreover did I seriously believe that?! How foolish and naïve could I have possibly been back then... even though this was only 14 hours ago?! What possessed me to ever think that looking after kids was going to be relaxing?!

Phoenix cleared his throat and scratched the back of his neck.

"Oh yeah, I guess I did say that, didn't I?" He mumbled, feeling a blush crawling up his cheeks. "Is that what you and Athena are doing right now?"

"Well, Athena's upstairs putting Dion to bed," Apollo explained. "But that was my game plan for the rest of the evening, unless of course..." There was a smirk in his voice with his next innuendo sentence. "My lovely wife has better and more creative ideas for what we can do the rest of the night..."

The meaning of the subtle as a Mack truck words were not lost on Phoenix, who suddenly felt ridiculously envious of his employee for getting the chance to kick back and idly watch television, as his young son was only a young infant, and therefore still incapable of walking and talking!

"Yeah well appreciate that while it lasts," he muttered darkly. "If you've never taken my advice before, Apollo heed my words now as your older and wiser boss OK? Enjoy what time you have now to relax and be with your wife while Dion is still a baby! And if you really know what's good for you... You'll stop at just one!"

"But I'd love to have another one! I really enjoy being a father!" Apollo protested. "By the time I get home from work, it's just in time for me to give my son his dinner. I love feeding him – he's starting to be on solid foods now and isn't just solely on tap anymore – and then he just goes to sleep shortly afterwards, and I get to enjoy the rest of the evening with my wife! So, what is there not to love about being a parent to such a sweet baby? And you have to admit, little Dion is cuter than most!"