Chapter 8: Concealing the Evidence

Phoenix Wright and Miles Edgeworth
Edgeworth's Penthouse, Los Angeles

"Key go down the hole and go whoosh!" Ace added helpfully, just in case nobody had been clear on the meaning of his words.

"Should I take that as my cue, Sir?" Hendricks reentered the living room, obviously overhearing the burial at sea key confession. "I have finally managed to remove the painting from your walls and the unwanted deposit in your bidet, as well as drained your former wading pool lavatory and restored it back to drier floor order. Shall I include fishing for a pair of estranged handcuff keys as part of the repertoire, while I snake the loo now?"

Edgeworth nodded and continued rubbing what was sure to become a hole in his temples.

"I don't know how long I will be, though, Sir," Hendricks told him. "That commode was clogged to the dickens!" He cast a scrutinizing glance at the twins' shackled ankles. "Might I suggest that you contact the handcuff owner to see if he has spare keys handy?"

"The handcuff owner?" Phoenix looked at the butler in surprise and arched an eyebrow at Mila and Gregory. Apparently, there was a very important part of the twins' retelling of events, which he and Edgeworth either had missed, or had been omitted!

"Indeed, Mr. Wright. If I'm not mistaken those are the very same pair of handcuffs that your friend Police Chief Gumshoe forgot when he was visiting the other day. Most curious how the twins could've gotten their hands on them, however."

"Oh?" Phoenix prompted, casting a suspicious glance at his best friend. A fiery blush begin to spread across Edgeworth's cheeks.

"Why, yes. I could've sworn I put them atop the highest glass shelving in the corner of the living room there, completely out of children's reach, where the Master's most valuable, limited edition Steel Samurai memorabilia is locked away..."

"Yes indeed it is quite a mystery." Edgeworth coughed. "That will be all, Hendricks; do let me know when the bathroom is safe for reentry again."

"Will do, Master Edgeworth. Might I take the liberty of making one more suggestion?"

With the obscene salary I am now forced to pay you, Hendricks, I imagine you are allowed a free pass to take whatever liberties you wish, as it is painfully aware that you now have me by the proverbial short and curlies! Edgeworth grumbled to himself. In fact, it wouldn't shock me in the least if you bought yourself a shiny new Rolls Royce with your newfound riches, with the personalized vanity plates, IOWNU!

"On the off chance that you were at all considering calling a locksmith, in lieu of contacting your friend Gumshoe, to come free your children from those cuffs..." A knowing smile twitched on Hendricks' lips. "I just wanted the Master to be aware that perhaps a trip from the seventh floor of this building might result in a quicker arrival, then that of any locksmith you may find. After all, I am presuming your goal is to try to restore order before the return of your wives, as the hour is indeed growing late, and last call at the bar is at 2 o'clock. This however, is supposing they aren't already, if you pardon the expression, completely pissed already."

Huh? How could they be pissed already? Phoenix was bewildered. I thought we had avoided A Time to Kill thus far because Franziska and Maya still have no idea what shit went down tonight! Not yet, anyway! Pun totally not intended!