Chapter 6: Watergate 2.0

Phoenix Wright and Miles Edgeworth
Edgeworth's Penthouse, Los Angeles

"Wright!" Edgeworth thundered, famous courtroom finger fully extended so that it was nearly poking Phoenix in the nose. "I demand an answer to my question, this instant!"

Phoenix gave his friend a sickly grin, and assumed his most innocuous expression. Had he not been holding Ace in his arms at that moment as a human shield against his friend's wrath, he would've been scratching the back of his neck to further exemplify the perfect picture of innocent obtuseness personified.

"Err... I'm guessing you would like explanation for the brown paint on your walls?" He asked feebly.

"I would also like to know why my bathroom is now a wading pool!" Edgeworth's face was identical in shade to his suit, such was his rage. "And your imbecilic self seems to be dodging the $64,000 question, which was, and I pray you will tell me that my eyes are deceiving me: Did your son take a deuce in my bidet?!"

The defense attorney forced himself to smile weakly, even as he withered underneath the Chief Prosecutor's ferocious glare.

"Um, yeah, about that..." Phoenix cleared his throat nervously. "Ah, you see, Edgy, Maya and I have been working on potty training Ace for the longest time now. And, er, I guess the toilet was too high for him to reach, plus it may have been a trifle unusable seeing as how he did ...kind of fill it with toilet paper. And then, um, flushed. Which is the reason the floors are a wee bit wet right now..."

Edgeworth's incensed eyes were nearly bulging out of his sockets. Phoenix had never seen his normally composed friend so unraveled.

"You call this...a wee bit wet?!" He gestured to the ankle deep water on the bathroom floor, which Ace had been wading in. "Clearly, your asinine simian countenance alludes that this fetid stench has annulled the anthropoid ape species diversity, if you genuinely believe those are the words that best suitably describe this catastrophic disarray of monumental proportions, which is now my facilities!"

"Hey! I'm not the one who did this! Must you be so gosh darn mean?" Phoenix flushed at the insult and scowled at his friend. "Look I'm sorry, but you got here faster than I thought you would! I'd sent Mia out to the kitchen to get me a mop and then get me some towels..." Suddenly a panicked look came into his eye. "Oh my God, she's been gone a while now! I need to go check on her!"

"Oh no, you don't! I don't think so! There is no way you're going to get out of this one that easily Wright!" Edgeworth bellowed. He clamped a firm hand on Phoenix's shoulder as he made a move to dodge by and rush out the door, Ace already tucked under his arm like a football. "What do you plan on doing about this predicament, Wright? I'll be lucky Watergate 2.0 hasn't already leaked downstairs through the neighbor's ceiling!"

"Send me the plumbing bill later, Edgeworth!" Phoenix shoved past him and was already booking it down the hall. "I need to check on my little girl!"

"Fine, but this time, I shall come with you! I am sick and tired of you leaving me to fend for myself while you play this cockamamie game of hide and go seek with your children!"

Edgeworth followed the defense attorney in hot pursuit towards the kitchen, just as they heard the four-year-old's tiny voice call out helplessly to them.

"Daddy! Uncle Miles! Help! I'm stuck!"

Phoenix's jaw hit the ground as he found his daughter exactly where he'd asked her to be; standing in front of the utility closet in the Edgeworth's kitchen. She smiled in relief when she saw him and then gestured to the floor by her stockinged feet, which were surrounded by a clumpy stickiness of sorts, along with a mysterious fine white dust?!