Chapter 1: Postively Weird

“He was strange in his own way, he was strange but he was joyful. I picked up a lot of lessons from him. One is to be happy even if everyone doesn’t find it joyful, be happy even if everyone isn’t. He told me that being different without harming anyone is okay.”

The way the picture frame was just plain and brown was a huge bother, much to her dismay. She wanted it to be colorful, like the sky at 6:15 PM maybe, when it’s orange and pink and the sun seems to shine in a warm hue. It would give life to the boring photo of her and her mother at the park. Maria still didn’t bother to head to the store and buy a new picture frame. That was the least of her worries especially when she just moved into a new house, a new residence, to hopefully find a new and better job.

She didn’t expect that she would be accepted in her ’new and better’ job easily. Her job may sound lethargic but it isn’t, being a caregiver of a house that no one has lived in for almost a decade is quite nerve wrecking! But she had no choice, as she needed to support her family as well. But a few days into her work, she found a journal that George (the house’s previous owner) has written on.

’July 20, 2003

          I told my friends I would be back after doing some chores, but when I tried coming back from them, she tried stopping me. She said I was crazy and I was mad at her, my wife thinks I’m crazy! How unbelievable! I can’t believe that she doesn’t want me out in the public any more! She had a reason though, I know it. She is my wife, a real woman, one that wouldn’t leave her husband questioning. I shouldn’t be that offended. She told me to keep taking them so that means she wants the best for me. I love my wife and she loves me... I hadn’t realized how that I was crying.

         She told me to avoid talking to them and told me to stay at home and be with her. I took horribly made ’candies’ everyday with her, until today, she left me. My relatives told me that she left because the candies tasted horrible, and that she also wanted a break from taking those candies. I have to admit that I was sad and disappointed that she left me because of those candies! I wanted a break from it as well! Why couldn’t she join me? She even left a note saying that I should eat one everyday at the exact time written on the note. Do I deserve to eat horrible candies than her? No, I shouldn’t think that way. She probably had her own reasons. Whatever, just think positive. And as I tried to do so, I cried from such struggle to live in positivity–

“Maria!” Her friend called downstairs, “We should head back home! It’s late!” Her friend added, she nodded quick because she hated being in this house especially late at night— it’s as if there were supernatural beings with them.

“Alright!” She said loudly and kept the journal in her backpack and secretly prayed that no bad thing would happen to her if she kept it because the journal is very intriguing itself.

When she arrived home, she decided to read it the whole night. The journal had a black cover and it’s as if it has a gold page as well, the handwriting is very attractive as it’s rare to see or meet a guy who actually has excellent penmanship. She turned the pages and saw a page full of images, and even colorful pens used for writing. She chuckled and read it anyway.

’January 17, 2005

          When I saw her come back into my arms, I was so happy that I couldn’t stop complaining to her on how much I missed her and on how incomplete I was without her. She tried brushing it off but she couldn’t! I was too happy that I just hugged her and cried within her arms. I opened my eyes and smiled widely, wiping my tears; I’ve missed her so much.

          When she asked me if I took the candies everyday, I couldn’t help but cry, of course I did! Even though those candies are horrible, I have to because she told me! She wiped my tears and told me, "Don’t cry my love, it’s weird knowing that you’re crying because you're happy!" I cried more and more when she said those, I’m too overwhelmed with her presence.

Droplets of water from her afternoon shower smudged the newspaper Maria was holding with her somehow sweaty hands. She was reading carefully through the Classified Ads section, looking for a new job that would hopefully suit her. She couldn’t think straight for some reason. The house didn’t want her too, she thought she was going mad and wanted to slap herself for thinking that way.

A sudden bang from the front door made her jump from her seat. She immediately placed the newspaper next to where she was seated, doing it in a hurry because she didn’t want to sit there any longer with her mind out of focus. The moment she grabbed the handle, a boy just about her age was smiling widely like a fool.

Realization hit her that no one knew where she lived. She had not told anyone. “Who are you?” She asked, then swallowed the lump in her throat.

He seemed in shock. “Your high school best friend. Don’t you remember?” He chuckled, Maria could see he was trying to keep that smile on his face.

“What’s your name?” Maybe she could remember if he told her his name.

“That doesn’t matter. You really don’t remember? I’m the one who acts weird to make people happy. Positively weird,” He chuckles yet again.

“Wait, you’re a girl. Ahh, Maria. You’re not George.”

How does he know who George is? Ha, positively weird, just like the way George wrote in the journal. His wife had left him but he was still happy. Well, trying to be happy.

“What’s that suppose to mean?”

“Nothing. Don’t revolve your mind around it. Uh, since you are Maria,” He flashes her a wide smile.

“Before I go, I’ll tell you something. Just like what I told Geo- someone, always stay positive. Even when you’re crying and mad, still be happy. And when you’re already happy, why not be happier?” He laughs, placing his hand on her shoulder.

“Bye.” He waves his hand while stumbling backward.

Maria closes the door immediately. She was confused, her mind blank and filled with continuous thoughts. She just shakes her head and gets back to job-hunting. Maria sits on the couch once again and grabs the newspaper.