Chapter 11: Adventurous

“She liked to call me weird nicknames that only we knew. She’d always make a memory I had a hard time forgetting. Actually, no, I loved those memories. They were memories I didn’t want to forget. The adventures, and the insanity.”

“Who is she? Why is she riding a bike in my house?! How did this happen?!” Maria thought to herself once more not realizing that she actually said it out loud.

“Don’t you remember me Marie?” The girl said with a playful smile on her face while getting off her bike. She turned around in order to look at Maria properly. ‘Marie? Who’s Marie?’

“Wait… Marie? Who’s Marie?” Maria asked her own shock being absolutely present in her voice, ‘She sounds a little to familiar. Maybe from something I’ve seen? Something I’ve read? I don’t know, but she’s too familiar.’

“It’s me, Brianna!” Brianna said smiling brightly. Brianna explained to her that she was her best friend in high school who would always get injured and also the most playful person Maria had ever known in her whole life. She had moved out of town, but Maria always remembered her.

“Brianna, what are you doing in my house?” Maria said, strange flashbacks coming at her like asteroids on the moon.

“Marie, do you want to go outside with me?” Brianna said, not exactly answering the question.

She nodded, “Why though? You haven’t exactly answered my question…” Maria said standing her ground and crossing her arms earning a fond laugh from her best friend.

“You haven’t changed have you Marie? I was bored so I decided to bike in your house. I also wanted to hang out with my best friend!  It has been so long!” Brianna answered still smiling.

“Brianna! You know you’ll get hurt again if you keep doing that!” Maria scolded her, worried.

“Okay… mom!” Brianna shouted back jokingly at Maria as they laughed while getting back on her bike and going in full speed towards the door going outside.

“Brianna!” Maria shouted in annoyance running after her laughing best friend. She stopped when she saw what was outside. No, it wasn’t the same outside she saw when she went here, this time what she saw before her was a place that looked like a forest.

“You seemed to be really sad lately. So, I made plans going to the jungle with you, isn’t it adventurous and amazing?”  Brianna said grinning at the reaction of her best friend. Maria felt really shocked but gathered herself to agree with what Brianna said. She felt the need to be out there in the wild lately.

  “You know me, I’m an adventurous person,” she added.

“This is very dangerous Brianna.” Maria muttered but all Maria could do is follow where the wind would take them. Brianna then told Maria all about her adventures, how the things she encountered was odd but amazing in a way she couldn’t describe it. Maria remembered how she loved to follow Brianna because she wanted to see for herself at least one of the things Brianna talked about to show up. She also wanted to be as adventurous as Brianna ever since.

They both spent weeks in the woods. Maria enjoyed their time. She saw some of the things Brianna talked about and couldn’t help but agree with how amazing they were. They finally decided to go back home. Who knows? Maybe they’ll do it again another time. Maria was happy the whole time. Not only did they go to a thrilling adventure, but she finally spent time with her long gone best friend. When she was a child, she would always imagine herself being part of a secret mission to save the universe. When they were right in front of Maria’s doorstep, Maria felt the need to say something. She turned her head slightly to look at Brianna.

“Will we do this again Bri? I’d hate to know that this will be the last time we’ll do this.” Maria said. She wanted to do this again, it was an amazing journey.

Brianna smiled gently at her before replying, “You called me Bri.”

She then shook her head, “Of course we will Marie! Don’t worry. We’ll do it sooner than you expect it to be!” Maria, feeling assured that they will have another adventure together, opened the door to her house. She suddenly felt dizzy, when she looked at her side, Brianna wasn’t there. She then collapsed down to the floor of her new home.