Chapter 4: Loyalty

“She was the most loyal person I’ve met. When I became friends with her, she never left. I don’t think that she left anybody she became friends with, or even associated with. Everyone else thought I was crazy, but she’s the only one who believed me. She helped me find my sanity when everyone thought I was insane.”

The doorbell rang. Maria, despite being tired after a long night last night, went to open the door for this stranger. It had become a norm for her now, random strangers coming at her home without even telling her who they are, how they got there, and who George is. Maria just chose to accept that George may be her in the past life.

  “May I ask, who are you?” Maria asked, still having a hangover.

“Oh, you forgot who I am? I am Linda. I was the one who put that hangover soup over there.” Maria was so confused as to why this lady was in her house. So she asked.

  “Excuse me but how did you know where I live? And how do you know who I am?” Maria asked.

The lady answered, “Maria, believe it or not we were friends. Something bad happened that’s why you forgot me. Actually, you’re the only one who let me in and accepted me. The others shut me out and abandoned me. So I’m thankful that you stayed loyal.”

“Wait, what?” Maria said. “Excuse me but who told you that I’m going to let you in?”

The lady’s eyes went wide, “But Maria, I thought we were friends? I stayed with everyone and I came back after what happened. I thought you were different.”

Maria shrugged, “I’m sorry but I really don’t know you. And besides, it’s hard to trust anyone these days. I’m really sorry.”

Linda’s expression changed. ‘’I thought you were different, Maria. Why aren’t you like him? He trusted me to stay by his side. Why can’t you trust me too? I can help you find your sanity.” Maria’s expression changed into confusion.

“Help me find my sanity? Old woman, I’m not insane. Maybe you are.” She was curious as to why Linda was comparing her to ‘him’.

But it was too late. Linda had left Maria’s house leaving Maria in confusion. Maria shrugged and went back inside, spotting that hangover soup in the corner of her eye. Despite the temptation to eat it, she didn’t. She didn’t trust that old woman. Maybe Maria wasn’t thinking straight, which only meant one thing. She needed to eat that soup.