Chapter 9: Religion

“Always, she restored my faith. When I was at the verge of losing all the virtues I’ve learned, she would smile at me and hold my hand. She would lead a powerful prayer.”

 ●

When Maria finally woke up, she ran across her house thinking on what could the dream mean. Just then Maria hear the doorbell ring. But she thought who because she did not tell anybody that would be moving to another house. She thought to herself “Who is that on the door? I don’t remember telling anybody where I live.” Befuddled, she walked to her room, got changed into more appropriate clothes for this mysterious stranger.

 As she went down, the doorbell rang once again. She took a peak in the door hole to check on who was it. She saw a girl who wore a beautiful dress in the shade of blue. Because she seemed familiar to Maria, Maria opened the door.

“Maria! Good morning.” She happily embraced Maria.

  “You have grown so much. Did you pray today?”  The girl exclaimed.

“Oh! Uhm, hello to you too.” Maria said, still confused about all this.

“It’s me, Elisha. We were best friends when we were kids. We used to…” and with that, Elisha explained everything that they used to do as children.

Surprised, Maria immediately hugged Elisha, remembering everything and invited her in. They headed for the living room. Still perturbed and still confused. Elisha decided to prepare dinner for the both of them before she leaves. She prepped the table and invited Maria to join her.

Elisha says, “We should always pray before we eat, don’t you agree Maria?”

Maria nodded subconsciously. Elisha volunteers to lead the prayer.

“Almighty God, victorious warrior, King of all kings, we humbly thank You for the bountiful blessings that we are to receive. And we thank You for waking us today, for the new life that You have bestowed upon us. In the mighty name of Jesus Christ, amen.”

Elisha was talking about a few things, thinking that Maria was listening even though she wasn’t really paying attention. While Maria was zoning out, she was wondering how she came in her house, how Elisha found her, and why she is here now. She snapped back to reality, now listening to Elisha’s stories, talking about what she did these past few years,  going to places as a missionaries with fellow pastors, and many more. Maria had this feeling that she wanted to let Elisha out, for she seems familiar but a part of her says that she’s not. But Maria, despite her instincts, went with the flow. She felt like Elisha as bringing back the faith that was once in her heart. She felt like Elisha is her inner religious spirit which came back because it knows that she has problems and that she needs the mercy and love of God.

Then, Maria finally spoke, “So Elisha, where do you live again? I don’t seem to remember.”

“His kingdom.” She answers blankly and continues eating. More questions were piling up in Maria’s head.

She asked, “Excuse me, I didn’t really understand. What did you say?”

“Soon.” Elisha says like how a preacher would say it. Maria was confused, she was frazzled with what she said.

Although she was worried about this person, she trusted her and spoke about her problems to her, and Elisha happily gave advice to her. But it wasn’t advice. It was a message. A preaching. Bible verses.

Elisha reached out her hand and it landed on Maria’s eyes. All of a sudden,Maria’s head felt light, she felt like she was being put into a deep sleep. Without a warning, she fell on the floor, her head emptied, thoughts thrown out of the window.

Maria woke up on where she fell the first time, when she touched the book. She was wearing the clothes she woke up with. Kitchen utensils were never used. Her clothes were not the ones she wore with Elisha. She was so confused but relieved; frightened but inspired. She tried to remember what happened, but all she could remember was a verse that Elisha had given her.

“Deuteronomy 31:8

The Lord himself goes before you and will be with you; He will never leave you nor forsake you. Do not be afraid.  Do not be discouraged.”

She was encouraged, empowered, and faithful. Elisha became a friend she would never forget. Until one day again.