Chapter 3

I woke in the early morning hours where the sun was just filtering through the thin curtains. Today was the day Carli and I would leave to head to New York City. I got up and made a trip to the bathroom. Then I brushed my hair and teeth, but I didn't bother to put makeup on. I grabbed some random clothes and a pair of shoes and grabbed everything I needed. I put all my stuff into my car and headed to Carli's house.

She was on the porch pulling at her front door when I pulled in her driveway. She smiled and made her way down the steps and to my car. She threw her stuff in the back and hoped into the front seat beside me. She gave me a side hug as I pulled out and started my way to the highway from her place.

"Hey... I'm hungry, can we get food once we make it to the Tennessee-Kentucky border?" Carli said while turning up the radio station I was listening to, which was an old rock station. We had barely made it onto the highway and she was already asking about food. Hadn't she ate before she left? Probably not.

"Hm, sure Carl. I know a place in Kentucky, if you want to add a little time to our ride, we can go there?" She looked over at me, and I glanced at her to see her nodding a silent yes. Her smile never left her face and her eyes were sparkling like brown jewels. I could tell she was going to enjoy this trip more than me.

~•~•~•~•~•~•~•~•~•~•~•~•~•~•~•~•~•~•~•~•

We made it to the restaurant I had mentioned, and I had officially hooked Carli on their food. Once we were finished eating, we got back into the car and got back on our way. For what seemed like hours, Carli and I spoke about old times. And new times too, keeping up to date in the others life and so forth. It was just like old times, a very comfortable peace between our speech. We hadn't had time to speak like sisters in a while. We had went our separate ways in our lives, and both of us were busy on a daily basis. We still loved each other as best friends and as sisters. I was starting to trust my choice to take this trip with her.

~•~•~•~•~•~•~•~•~•~•~•~•~•~•~•~•~•~•~•~•

We still had hundreds of miles to go and we were both bored and hungry. We had traveled the whole day, as we watched the red colored sun flutter below the horizon. Durning the day, we had stopped anywhere we could to eat or pee, but by now we both wanted a good meal, not fast food. We decided to stop at Cheddar's and eat supper. We finished as quickly as we could, and headed back into the road for the long journey that was still ahead. Carli soon decided to take a "power nap", but it ended up with me being in silence for a few hours. Peaceful music was all I needed though.

~•~•~•~•~•~•~•~•~•~•~•~•~•~•~•~•~•~•~•~

We reached the beautiful city by nightfall after 13 hours. The city was lit up like a Christmas Tree, and so very pretty. Windows in apartments, hotels, and businesses were lit up in different hues of yellow and white. It was almost like a painting... the stars were full, all over the sky. The moon was a small sliver in the sky. The light from the city reflected onto the North River that flowed between New York and New Jersey. I heard Carli finally stir beside me to see the beautiful sight. I smiled and let out a small laugh.

We kept traveling to the hotel, and watched as the servicemen took our stuff to the room. We decided that we were really hungry, once again. So we went to a Wendy's that wasn't very far from our hotel and got greasy hamburgers. After that we were too tired to do anything else so we went back to the hotel and made it to our room. Our bodies were so tired and fatigued by the time we had changed into sleeping clothes. We fell asleep immediately after we hit the bed.

~•~•~•~•~•~•~•~•~•~•~•~•~•~•~•~•~•~•~•~•

The morning came too soon for us, but I had things to do and so did Carli. I got up and got dressed in a business suit that revolved around white and black. I grabbed blackish, silverish high heels to go with it. I was considered perfect height for a woman, but I still loved wearing high heels. It gave me confidence and power in everyday life situations. It helped me keep my hopes up.

After that I went to the bathroom and curled my long, black hair into large curls. I took out liquid eyeliner out of my travel bag, and I drew the classic cat eye over my eyelashes. Then came mascara and a little bit of sparkling eyeshadow. After that I was ready. Subtle but powerful makeup could make any man melt. I had decided earlier that I couldn't be casual since I was heading to the company that was going to publish my book. My boss wasn't one for casual clothes. I went out of the bathroom to find Carli already gone. I grab my book and my purse and walk out the door, locking it behind me. I got outside and into my car to start the long drive across town to the biggest publishing company in the country.

As I drove I took in the sights I had seen more than once, but they never lost their beauty. The beautiful buildings passed by as I made my way to, let's say, my least favorite place. There's a reason Carli always takes my work. That was because the company doesn't exactly like me living in Tennessee. They want me to live here, in New York or somewhere else that is a popular tourist attraction. This way, my boss could gain more money by setting up monthly "meet and greets". It never really appealed to me, but they wanted to force me to stay here, which is the reason I didn't exactly like them.

Carli had always said that the move could be good for me, and that she would move with me. Her and her fiancé were going to move in together soon anyway, and they would more than likely stay here. I considered it, but if I were going to move, I would go to France, or even Britain. They, of course, are a good move across the country, well more like the world. Cities there were beautiful, however I would probably pick France because of the Eiffel Tower. It was so beautiful at night, and I could get used to a view like that... and not just from pictures.

While I was lost in my thoughts about moving to New York, I finally found my way to the company. I always call it The Company because it pisses them off. I found a place to park and goy out and started walking to the door. Once inside the receptionist greeted me with a large smile. Her name was Lola, and we were considered friends. I talked to her almost every week over the phone.

"Casey! It's great to see you! I'll tell the boss you're here." She winked. She was always flirting with me because she's lesbian. It bothers me at times, when she acts sexual to me, but other than that, she's an amazing person and was always respectful towards me.

"Thanks, Lola. By the way, tell him I'm considering talking to him about my next book." I wanted to ask him what to do, whether he thought I could do a romance or a different genre.

"Okay hun, I'll tell him." She quickly called him and told him what I ask her to.

"Okay, he'll see you in 5 minutes! You can stay here and talk while we wait!" She looked excited that I was here, and I had to admit that I was happy to see her too.

We talked for the short 5 minutes, and she told me to go talk to him. I walked to the elevators and pressed the top floor. Now all I had to do was wait...