Chapter 2

"Casey? I missed you so much! What are you doing here?" She smiled and pulled me into a hug before jerking me into her house and slamming the door shut.

"Well, I just got done with my book, and I thought that you could possibly take it to New York when you go see Josh?" I spoke in a questioning voice, watching her face turn happy.

"Of course!" She motioned for me to follow her into her living room and she sat down, secretly telling me to do the same.

"So, what is your next book going to be about?" She said, having a mysterious glint in her eyes.

"I don't know Carli. I haven't done anything pertaining to romance, so maybe I'll try and do that. I want to have a mysterious aura around the book though, and I just don't know how to find that. You know me, I need a real life trigger to write a book."

"Wait, so this book about the girl, what triggered that? This ending is sad as, well, death." She was confused at me saying I had to have a trigger. She was sitting there reading the ending with the funniest face ever, a mix between being confused and intrigued.

"It's hard to explain. I guess the best way to say it is that I need something or someone to be around for me to understand a mysterious aura or a romantic setting. I've had my share of boyfriends but not one of them took me to a romantic place."

"Yeah... that makes more sense. Well, I'm going to start my journey to New York tomorrow, so I'll take this with me. I can't wait to read the rest." She looked up to me with a smile.

"Why do you always read the end first?" I ask with a slight laugh as I stretched my feet out and crossed them.

"Because your endings are the best! So beautiful and fascinating in their own way. It's really beautiful writing... It's really no wonder why everyone loves you."

"No one knows the real me though. They know my pin name but not my real name or self, just a fake me." I wrote under the name Lyla Rickman, and I didn't exactly like writing under Lyla Rickman. Though it was my name when I'm wrote, as I'm a completely different person when I write.

"Maybe one day, you can become Casey when you write, not Lyla." Carli mumbled as she looked a little disappointed.

It was just like my parents did so long ago. They wanted me to become a great, powerful person, not a writer. They looked so sad, disappointed in my talent really. They disowned me and didn't talk to me for years. Once they did, I didn't respond until it was to late. The one call ended my chances of talking to them ever again. They had both committed suicide right after they left the massage to me. It crippled me, and I was depressed for years. Let's just say, after that, all I wrote about was death, and people loved it. That's the reason the little girl dies in my new book, and well a lot of others.

"Cas? Are you losing your mind?"

"What? Did I tune out?" I noticed I was staring at the ground, and I looked up to see her face contorted in annoyance.

"No shit Sherlock. For 3 minutes! Did you hear anything I said?" Her foot began tapping on the ground at a fast pace. It was a thing she did when she was angry or annoyed.

"Not really." I shrugged. "I was thinking of my parents." I jumped as she suddenly grabbed my hands in hers and looked me in the eye.

"No. Do not, I repeat, do not, think of them. I know you miss them, hell I miss them too, but you can't sulk about this stuff anymore..." She took on a serious but caring face.

"You know I think they were killed by someone else. I can't help but think about them once or twice a year." I said this even though it was more like every week. I truly believed that someone killed them. I don't believe for a second that they killed themselves. That's why I always wrote of murder and not suicide.

"Listen Cas, I know this may be a good idea, for your new book at least, but you haven't been in the "romantic" mood lately. You've been different since your parents died, and I'm scared that your going to get hurt. I don't want you to be dangerous and get yourself hurt by some asshole off the streets." She smiled sadly while tears started to form in her eyes. She had always been concerned for me, considering we'd been friends since childhood. She went through her beatings from her parents, mainly her dad. She was broken for so many years, until I finally broke though to her. Now it was her turn to break through to me.

"I know Carli, but I want to change back to my old self. The confident, beautiful, daring woman I used to be." I just don't know if I can.

"And you think writing a book is going to help that? Are you stupid, dumb, or high?" She was getting mad, one thing about her she has a huge temper, and something small can trigger it. I guess I already have.

"None of those. The book won't help me. I don't really know what will, but I have to try. For everyone, including you." I hated to see my friends hold caution when around me. I wasn't some thin glass that could be easily broken. I'm stronger than they think. I just can't stand the thought of being stuck like this forever.

"I just miss you." She slowly let the forming tears fall down her face. I took her in my arms and held her. She was fragile. Unlike me she was broken into pieces. I had to mend her back together a long time ago, but she always had her moments. We sat like that until the stopped crying. I needed something to cheer her up, and I got an idea.

"Hey, maybe I could ride with you to New York? Maybe get some new inspiration?" I said, hoping I could cheer her up and maybe even get an idea for another book. I had spent elven months on the new book, (which is a little too long for my liking) so I couldn't waste my time on this one.

"Really? You would do that? Or is it just to cheer me up?" I saw her sad face, and I knew she was going to cry again.

"Of course I meant it! Why wouldn't I have meant it? I love New York. It's just I've been so busy I haven't been able to visit." It was all true, considering I've been to New York more than five times. It was usually to turn in a book that I had written since my bosses publishing company was in New York. I loved the city, though I had always preferred the country. "As long as I can drive though," I added. Her face became serious within seconds.

"Why?" She started pouting while I, on the other hand, was trying to hold back laughter.

"That's the only thing I ask for."

"Fine. Bit-..." She stopped while I smirked. I was internally warning her to not to say the whole word. I waited a second before I spoke again.

"Well, now that we have come to a conclusion... I'll go home and start packing. See you tomorrow Carli." I said as I stood up from my seat and began my way to the door.

"See ya Casey. Oh! Pack something warm!" I turned around to see her standing as well and smiling sweetly at me.

"Considering it's the beginning of spring, I think I know this. I'm not as stupid as I look." I shot back, gaining an evil look from Carli. I stuck my tongue out and walked out the door. With a long trip ahead, I rode home to pack everything for a week long trip. All I needed then was a booking at a high price hotel and a good nights sleep. It was going to be long day tomorrow. I could already tell.