Chapter 7

"She must be here. Cullian told us she would be here with a friend." It was the woman's voice. Cullian? I faintly remember hearing that name before.

     "Well, we all know that Cullian can be wrong. He's not the brightest crayon in the box, but he's also not the dullest." That voice came from the man closest to the door.

      "I don't think she's here. We're wasting our time, damn it! Let's get the hell out of here." The younger man sounded impatient, and it sounded like he began climbing back out of the window.

      "Hold it boy." The bigger man said, the one that was farthest from the door. He had to be heavier than the other man. He sounded scary as hell.

      "We can't take Cullian's word falsely. If he said she's here, then she's here. Let's check the guest room. Her friend should be there. Then we can taunt the girl with her friend and force her to come with us." The bigger man suggested while making his way to the door. My body rang with unease, and my knees began shaking. If he came through that door he'd catch me. I gathered myself as I heard the man's footsteps come closer to the door. I steadied my knees and quickly took off, making sure I didn't make too much noise. I had to get Carli and get out of here.

      I made it downstairs safely without making too much commotion. I opened the guest bedroom's door, which was conveniently on the first floor, and I stepped in before closing it behind me. The room was dark, but I made it to the bed where Carli was sleeping. I leaned down and shook Carli as I heard the men coming noisily down the stairs.

      "Carli? Wake up!" I whisper-yelled. She stirred slightly but went right back to sleep. I knew I had to carry her out if I wanted her to live. I stuffed my gun back into my jeans and picked her up bridal style. I heard the men coming to the guest bedroom door. My mind began racing. I only had a few steps to make it to the front door, but it was too late for that, I had to think of something else.

       Then it hit me, there was a hidden door in the closet of the guest bedroom that had been built to hide slaves during the Civil War. What was the luck that I owned an old house. I propped Carli on the side of the bed, and I tidied the bed sheets up. I picked Carli up again and headed into the closet and quietly shut the door behind us. I searched blindly for the hidden handle with one hand. As I heard the bedroom door open, my hand ran across the handle. I said a silent prayer, and I opened the door slowly. I crept in with Carli in my arms and closed the door quietly. I could hear muffled voices.

      "See? I was right, like always. She's not here and neither is her friend." The young man said.

     "Hold up young man. What about the sheets? Have they been tampered with?" The smaller man said. The woman stepped forward.

     "I'm sorry Malikie, I'm afraid they are not. They look as if maybe about a month ago they were tampered with, but not recently." She said in a quiet, obeying voice that had a hint of a Russian accent. Thank goodness for me and my quick thinking. The sheets hadn't been used in forever, and so they had dust all over them. Carli had just pulled the sheets back ever so slightly, not even worrying about the dust.

     "Well, maybe Cullian was wrong after all. C'mon, we've gotta go." The smaller man said, and started walking to the door. The others followed behind him as he opened the bedroom door. They made their way out and towards the front door.

      The front door, seriously? How stupid can you get? The group filed out of the house, and the last one out, the young man to be exact, closed the door behind him. We were safe, finally. I slowly opened the door and laid Carli were I had been squatting. I had to check the house just in case they were trying to trick me. I wasn't stupid enough to walk out and get ambushed and be taken away to some God forsaken place.

     I walked out slowly shutting the guest bedroom door behind me. I peeked around to see the front door was locked but not bolted. I looked out the front window to see car lights pulling out of the driveway. We were safe. I still didn't see how neither of us noticed a car in the front...

     I made my way back to the hidden room and picked Carli up and put her back into the bed. I then once again went back up to my room. I walked in when I heard no commotion and went straight to my desk. I opened my computer and searched the name "Cullian" and was surprised at what I found.

Cullian was apparently one of the most wanted computer genius's in America and a drug dealer. One of the most pretentious drug dealers was after me. I could die as my parents had. I looked up more about Cullian and found he was the one in fact that had killed my parents. A secret website, more than likely brought here from the dark web, listed the names of his known victims and my parents names were there, plain as day. I knew something was up when the law said they killed themselves. I kept looking through the names of his families victims. I felt my eyebrow arch before I felt sick to my stomach. He was the man who had also killed my grandparents.

My stomach churned at the news, and I regretted ever looking him up. I stood up and went downstairs to make sure all my doors and window were locked and every light was off. I went back up to my room and loaded my gun and put it under my pillow.

People always wondered why I carried a gun with me in certain places. My parents knew that I would have to fight. I never knew the meaning behind my training as a kid until now. They trained me for 13 years, since I was 5 till I was 18. Then they learned I had started my first book and disowned me. That's when I took it in my own hands to keep training. I had training in guns, knives, and any other type of weaponry. I had all skills in any type of martial arts. My dad took time in making me learn survival tactics. What happened tonight was easy compared to what my dad trained me to do. That is why I carry a gun almost everywhere, because I was taught anyone can backstab you.