Chapter 10

Ding. Ding.

My head snaps up immediately after hearing my phone, signaling to me that I had a new message. I got up out of the uncomfortable hotel bed and looked for my phone that had somehow gotten all the way to the end of the bed. The message was from someone's number that I know extremely well.

It read:
Dear Ms. Casey, I am texting to tell you that the man that shot your friend worked for Cullian, a drug dealer that we want to get our hands on. With the help of many things coming from the mans autopsy and background, we have an idea of where we can find Cullian. For this I will give you the mans name, and if you can, come to the station to collect some money given to you for finding and killing this man. His name was Nykoly Almerio. He was born in Russia and had always been inside the drug business. He has a whole folder that, if you would like, you can read to find out more information on the man who killed your friend. We are deeply sorry for your loss and will try our best to help you in anyway we can.
Sincerely, Sheriff Nickleson

I decided that I did, in fact, want to read that folder. It would hopefully give me more information about how to stay safe and away from these men. Sheriff Nickleson was a good friend of mine, and technically a co-worker. I packed up and took all of my stuff and Carli's stuff to the car, since I would be leaving for the airport right after I go to the station to drop off Carli's stuff and grab that file. I knew the Sheriff would get Carli's stuff to her parents, if they wanted it.

I was moving fast to have lost my best friend last night. However, with how I was already empty from my parents dying a few years ago, it honestly couldn't faze me much. That sounds harsh, but with the way I grew up you had to live with what life threw your way, whether it be your dog dying or your best friend. I have to push through. My parents taught me the importance of making sure that you move quickly because it can be dangerous, in this case a life or death situation.

Once I was on my way to the station, I got another text. Once again, it was from a number I didn't know. When I read it however, I suddenly knew exactly who it was from: Cullian.

Little girl, I know where you are. You're on your way to the police station to pick up that folder on my man, Nykoly. Good luck trying to find out anything more than what's in that folder. Anyway, let's get this over with. Go on to France, you aren't safe there either, and you'll find that out soon enough. I have eyes everywhere, darling. ~Try not to be nasty while I'm watching~

My mind whirled with all of the possibilities. Who was this man, and how could he know my every move? My hands lightly shook on the steering wheel. I was born and raised to fight with every fiber of my being, and even though it's a trait that I had buried a long time ago, it's coming back to the surface. I now knew why my life had started the way it did, and I wouldn't let my parents down. Not after the first time. I would become the woman they wanted me to be.

I watched as cars drove by me and I passed by the scenery. You couldn't really see how beautiful it was from the blurs of green and brown, but I couldn't slow down to enjoy it. My flight was in about four hours, and I would have to meet Lola there. While waiting, I could search for anything on Cullian. I could ask the guys at the station for his folder as well. Anything I can get on him can be helpful.

~•~•~•~•~•~•~•~•

Before I know it I'm pulling into the station's parking lot. It was a large structure with colonial like pillars holding up a second story balcony. It kind of looked like a mini White House. I walked in slowly, nodding to those who waved or nodded at me. I walked into the Sheriff's office on the second floor and saw him look up from the paperwork he was working on. He smiled gently, in a very friendly way. I smiled back and spoke.

"I heard you may have some information on Nykoly. I was wondering if you anything on Cullian as well. Anything can help, if you know what I mean." I said as I sat down in the chair in front of him.

"Of course, Casey. Here is Nykoly's folder, this is all the information we could find on him. It's really odd honestly." He said this as he handed me a yellow folder with, "Nykoly Almerio" written across it.

"What's so odd about it?" I said as I grabbed the folder from his hands.

"Well, Nykoly was very know in the drug world, but it seems as if he just, disappeared? He can't be found on anything. That's the reason his info folder is so small. And Cullian, Cullian is the same story, just worst. You can't find anything, no photos, location, family, friends, and he hasn't even been seen on a security camera video. He's nonexistent. But here is his folder, take what you can from it." He handed me the other folder with minimum information. I flipped through both of them quickly while listening to his next words.

"Nykoly's autopsy reveals that he and Cullian are brothers. We did find that Cullian wasn't born in Russia, and that they have different blood fathers. Their mother was the one who was in power in the drug world, the queen. Supposedly based on what we could find, Nykoly was a mistake of her drunkenness. The one thing we can track is the DNA of both Cullian and Nykoly's mother. Hopefully after having Nykoly's DNA, we can find his mother. We can then hopefully track Cullian by that. How? We don't know yet. But if there's a will there is a way." He then took out a small handgun out of his desk drawer and pushed it across the table to me.

"Here, take this with you. It may be small, but it packs a punch. I know your going to France, so I had my tech jockey design this thing . It can't be detected from a metal detector, or you can even put it in your luggage; it still won't be detected. I hope you can use it and save a little money." I sent him a confused look.

    "I want you to go undercover for me. Here's some money to buy guns once you get there." He passed close to three thousand dollars to me. I knew that was a little bit extreme, but I couldn't fuss.

"Here's your badge." He passed the badge that I had grown accustomed to. The beautiful eagle carved into real carat gold. It's probably worth thousands of dollars, and it was specially made for me. This badge represented something about me that many people couldn't have imagined.

      I've been an undercover cop for the past three years. Not only that, I've worked for myself all of those years. I was basically a private investigator for anyone who could spend a few bucks to pay me. I had worked with the Sheriff on many jobs, so he had a special badge made for me. The ironic thing? Everyone in the states knows who I am. They just don't know I'm also Lyla Rickman. I took the badge and latched it to my belt buckle.

"I will pay heavily for this job. If we can kill Cullian, that will be the greatest achievement of our generation." He said this while smiling.

    However, I knew I had to show him the text I received earlier this morning. I sighed lowly.

"I want you to see this." I said, pulling out my phone from my back pocket. I put the code in my phone and touched messages. I put the messages in front of him. In a few seconds his face contorted in disbelief.

"Cullian sent this to you?" He was at a loss for words. I let a moment for everything to sink in. As a long time friend, I knew what was about to happen. Then, slowly, his face turned to rage. He began to take deep breaths to calm himself down.

"I swear to you Casey, I will find him. When I do, I'll bring him right to you, so you can kill him. Before you go, let me see if my team can trace this phone number." He was still angry as he wrote down the number on my phone. Justice was in his eyes as he looked back to me. His near black hair and beautiful green eyes stared back at me. I knew we could handle this together.

"Thanks, Marc. I'll be on my way then, okay? I'll see you later." I stood up from my seat and started walking out of the office.

"Casey?" He called out as I made it to the door.

"Yeah?" I stopped and turned around to look at him.

"Thank you." He let his genuine smile show through, and it warmed my heart.

"Hey, you're the one doing me a favor. So you don't have to thank me, I should thank you." I smiled and walked out of the office and back outside to the dry winter air.