Chapter 8

I laid in bed for hours, unable to fall asleep. My thoughts were swirling inside my mind while thinking of Cullian and the team that had been here to capture Carli and I. I had to get out of this country, and fast, or else I was as good as dead. Finally after hours of my brain running on overload, I felt my eyelids fall into a slumber.

        I was awoken by my cat, Gabe. He had made a home by sitting on top of my chest which was slowly cutting off my air supply, considering he was so fat. His hair began tickling my nose as I remembered last time I had taken him to the vet. He was at 27 pounds, but most of his weight was his fur.  My friends always said he looked like he was wearing a full body afro wig. He meowed lightly as he leaned over and flopped on my face. Well this was the best way to wake up, am I right?

       I flipped off my sheets and comforter and picked him up with one hand. I tucked my hand under his butt and held him in one arm. I looked at him and nuzzled my nose with his.

     "Hey, crap head. How are you this morning?" The only answer I got was a slight nose twitch. I assumed that meant he was fat, sassy, and perfectly fine.

     I pulled my covers up and straightened them out over the bed. I looked over at my alarm clock to find it was close to 10 in the morning. With Gabe in one arm and my phone in the other, I headed downstairs. I put him down when we reached the back door, which was in the kitchen.

      I opened the door and poured his usual morning tuna crunch in his bowl outside. Sometimes he got fussy about eating outside, but I could tell the whether was nice, and I figured he'd enjoy it. I left the door open and went to wash my hands in the sink. I looked out the window above the kitchen sink to see Gabe stretched out in the sun by his bowl. I shook my head and laughed under my breath. I knew he would get up and eat it sooner or later. With a deep breath I decided to go get ready for the day.

         After heading upstairs, I threw on casual clothes. I knew that the day would be long. First, I had to explain to Carli what happened last night. Then I have to break the news and tell her we need to leave soon, possibly tonight. Afterwards, I'll have to pack everything for France and be ready to go by tonight. I hoped to get done early so I could look up some information about Cullian and see just who I'm dealing with.

I walk downstairs and found Carli had finally gotten up. She yawned as she put waffles in the toaster, enough for both of us. I didn't suppress the urge to scare her, so I yelled at the top of my lungs to get the reaction I was looking for.

"CARLI!" I scream.

"Shii-iii-iii-t!" She screamed back and turned around with a eat-shit-and-die look. I stuck my tongue out at her and she flipped my off. I smirked and walked over.

After the waffles popped back up, we sat down and ate the soggy waffles. I took this time to tell Carli everything that had happened last night, and I told her we needed to leave tonight before they came back. In other words, we needed to leave before dark. She seemed to understand the danger of our situation so she agreed to be packed by sundown. She took a ride back home from a acquaintance of hers.

        Throughout the day I packed everything I needed into my suitcase. I would have to buy new clothes in France and maybe a gun, if they were allowed there. Close to noon I took out my phone and called Carli, and she said she was ready. I took Gabe to my neighbor to ask her to take care of him for the months I would be in France. She thankfully agreed and took Gabe and his food inside of her house.

I then went to pick Carli up, having all my stuff in my trunk. On the way there, I called Mr. McDaniel. He said that it was fine to have a flight booked and to stay in a hotel until the flight. I picked up Carli and her stuff and we took the ride to the hotel that I had booked under my writing pin name.

       When we got to the hotel, I pulled out my phone to see that I had gotten a text from Mr. McDaniel. He said that the flight was booked to take off in 2 days. I thanked him and said goodbye pleasantries. Carli and I had taken our time searching for anyone following us the entire way. When we were comfortable in saying that we weren't followed, we settled down for the 2 night stay. We still had a lot ahead of us, but I just hope we can face it head on.

~•~•~•~•~•~•~•~•~•~•~•~•~•~•~•~•~•~•~•~•

     It was a day before the flight and we had agreed to have some fun here in America before we headed to France. We walked a short distance to a skate park off the highway near the hotel. Carli and I had skated on and off since we were kids, so we were comfortable enough to rent gear and not be afraid that it's a waste of money.

      It was noon on a beautiful day with clear skies and the perfect whether to skate. Most of the park was filled with kids who were playing around in skates. Some of them looked our way with curiosity and others looked with disgust. We didn't care though because nothing was going to stop us from having fun while we can. We stayed there for hours and met some others who loved skating. We hit off with most the kids and we decided we had to leave before we got too attached.