Chapter 13

My sleep was laden that night. Like something was bothering me; a tiny voice telling me that something was wrong, but I wouldn't let it speak long enough to understand what it wanted to say. I figured that it was just because I was sleeping in a foreign place and also sleeping in a foreign bed, comfortable, but still foreign to my body. I also figured it was due to the jet lag and time difference.

I woke up earlier than my alarm. The sun was slightly peaking through the curtains, begging me to get up and open the window so I could behold the new dawn. For some reason I couldn't stop thinking about... never mind, that's not important right now.

I decided to heed the sun's plead, and I slowly rose out of the warm sheets to open the curtains. As I pull them open the dawn meekly shines in, taking its lawful place in my "home". The sun was just now showing its hot, shining surface over the dreary horizon. Fog was rising from the ground, creating a mystifying environment. The sun began to bring life to all creatures, big and small.

Today, though, it acted as if it was too shy to show its blushing face. It looked as if it was embarrassed to rise over the horizon, that, as we speak, it's been kissing for the longest time. It will rain today, I know this because the of the suns tint and "actions". Everyone back home would call me the "weather woman" but it was a suiting nickname.

I turned away from the entrancing sight and walked to the bathroom. Just as I had thought, my hair was frizzy and slightly curly. The woman that looked back at me in the mirror was terrified, for reasons I didn't know. I mean I was thinking of him, but that doesn't explain how bad I looked. I brushed through my hair and washed my face in freezing cold water.

Today I would more than likely stay inside, or I could go to a friend's place. Who is that friend? Well a little while ago, in America, I had been on the prowl for a well known criminal when I found a woman fifteen years older than me who was sitting on her knees in a dark alleyway. She also had a gun in her hands and had it stuffed in her mouth, about to pull the trigger, and end the suffering she had obviously been through. She looked so broken, because her heart was more shattered than her appearance. She looked at me once and closed her eyes but I calmly started singing my favorite sad song, Paralyzed by NF.

Flashback*

She sadly looked up as I had finished the song and sobbed more. She finally pulled the gun out of her mouth and dropped the gun on the ground, before pulling her hands up to her face probably being frightened of what this stranger was going to do to her. I slowly slid the gun away from her hands and sat on my knees in front of her.

"I know what it's like, to be broken. I am broken too. Everything seems to be going wrong, or breaking down in the last minute. I understand." I said the last part quietly and put my arms around her slim shoulders. She sobbed harder, trying to catch her breath, and at the same time pulling me closer to her like I was the only thing that mattered, the only one who cared. After hours of being like this she had finally stopped sobbing, only sniffles could be heard in the alley. She finally opened her mouth to say something.

"Thank you. You're probably curious to know the reason I'm like this?" She asks.

        I still hadn't seen her whole face because it was too dark at the time. She took deep breaths, trying to calm herself. She didn't wait for my answer.

"My fiancé, he," she paused and inhaled before continuing, "he cheated on me. We were together for 9 years. He proposed to me a year ago. We would have gotten married two weeks from now if I wouldn't have come home to find a note on the fridge that said that he had fallen in love with another woman." She pushed back a sob that was begging to come up.

"That he left and is never coming back. He said he never wanted to see me again. To not under any circumstance to try and find him. I couldn't do anything." Shivers were racking her body, scared, angry, or sad I couldn't tell.

"I'm sorry, I know what your feeling. My boyfriend was taken away from me when I needed him the most. He was taken by my parents; it wasn't me but them. It wasn't you, it was him. You know that, right?" I looked at her, still not able to see her face.

"I know it's not my fault. It just hurts."

"I know it does. I can help you, if you let me." I say and she nodded her head yes in response.

"Well, let's get you cleaned up, ok?" I ask as I stand up and stick out my hand for her to take if she was willing to.

She looked up and I could see the faint smile she had on. She reached up, still with a shaking hand, and latched onto my steady one. I helped her up gently and let her lean on my shoulder for support. We walked out into the light of a street lamp, and I couldn't believe how truly beautiful this woman was. It wasn't me saying that I liked her that way but no one should have let her down.

She had long, natural, red hair that was straight until the  bottom. It faded into curls along with fading into a bright orange color. She had emerald green eyes that pierce through the soul; they had specks of violet in them if you looked close enough. Her eyes were wide and curious, however they still held wisdom. She was a bit shorter than me with a medium build.

"How old are you?" I ask, trying to break the tension from the long walk to my home.

"I'm thirty-four. What about you?" She said, and I was awe struck.

Thirty-four? She looked younger than me.

"I'm nineteen. You look so young." I smiled at her.

"That's a good thing in your situation. You can start anew, somewhere you know that happiness will find its way into your life." She smiled faintly at me, her cheeks still blushed a light pink color due to her previous crying.

Finally, after a long walk to my place, we walked in through my front door. I got her all fixed up. She had taken a shower and dried her hair. She looked much calmer now as she stood beside me as I locked my front door. We were already headed outside again. She had on new clothes, shoes and a new face of makeup. By this time it was already dawn, and she was ready to go home to get packed and leave. She was moving to France.

Flashback end*

When Kayra and I met, we were complete strangers. However, we clicked immediately. I kept contact with her for a long time, and she always told me to come and see her if I ever had the chance. That was reason why I wanted to see her today, or maybe tomorrow.

I sat in my bedroom looking out of the balcony doors. How beautiful it was to walk outside, hear the birds sing their song of nature, and watch as the sky opens its eyes to behold the dawn of a new day. It truly is beautiful watching the sun rise over the horizon, but I had work to do.