Chapter 11

Katie POV

       It's sad that I started feeling like a third wheel at my own lunch table. I mean I was the one that founded the table and now I had to sit and watch Luke and Layla make kissy faces at each other the whole time. It was actually making me sick to my stomach. I spent the time looking through my phone, trying to ignore the two of them. Luke never even asked if she could sit with us. Just one day I came and there she was. It was hard to ignore them when they were just being annoying. I peered up from my phone and the two of them were in some in depth conversation about stuff I've never even heard of. I sighed to myself and looked back at my phone. I was looking on tumblr, trying to become preoccupied.

    I took a peek down under the table. Lucy was sprawled across the floor right by my feet. She was completely knocked out and oblivious to everything going on. I gave her a small pet and decided I couldn't take it anymore. I got up off my chair and started packing my stuff. "Where you going?" Luke asked me.

     "Didn't think you'd actually pay attention. I'm going away." I told him and woke up Lucy. She got up slowly and I gave her an extra tug. She eventually stood herself up and started walking with me. I walked out of the cafe towards the hallway. I decided to just head to a corner and wait for the bell to ring for class. I sat down in the hall and Lucy placed her head on my lap. She closed her eyes and we just sat together and waited.

    "Katie. What's going on?" I heard a voice call down the hall. There was Luke walking down the hallway, following me. I put my head back against the wall and sighed. "What ever do you mean Lucas?" I said and I could see him starting to get angry.

     "Really Katie? My full name?" He said and sat down next to me. "What's going on? Talk to me." He said and I didn't know what to say. I was super aggravated with him. Ever since he started hanging out with Layla I felt blowed off constantly.

"Didn't think you actually noticed," I told him and started to pet Lucy's head. I could feel myself start to shake. Confrontation was definitely not my strong suit. "Of course I noticed. Your my best friend. I didn't know what to think, but now I see there's a real problem here." He said to me and I rolled my eyes.

"Yup." I said and crossed my arms.

     "Katie come on. Please," Luke said. I looked over to him, his blue eyes shining at me. I felt my heart start to jump. "You've been ditching me and I don't even know if you've realized it. Three times Luke. Three times you've ditched me to hang out with Layla, then one day I show up to lunch and she's already at our lunch table. You didn't even ask me Luke. I don't feel comfortable there anymore." I told him and rested my head in my hand. "It's like I don't even exist anymore." It was the truth. I had heard stories of people who ditch their friends for their boyfriends and girlfriends, but I never thought I'd have to actually experience that up front.

"I..." Luke started to say then stopped. It was like he completely shut down. "I really didn't. Katie.. I'm really sorry," he said. I didn't look over at him.

    "Are you though Luke? You know you're my only friend, and now it feels like I have nobody again. We don't even hang out anymore. We used to hangout at least twice a week after school. You just don't have time for me anymore." I told him and I felt like I could cry any second. I felt my tears begin to come up and I couldn't stop them. I blinked and felt the water running down the side of my cheeks. I brought my hand up and wiped it. "I feel stupid." I said and wrapped my hands around my knees. I placed my head in my lap.

     I did feel stupid. Why was I even crying? I shouldn't have been so affected by this, but for some reason it was killing me. "Katie I really didn't realize." Luke said then he rested his hand on my back. "I guess you're right.  I have kind of been blowing you off. I'm not used to this. It's all new for me. I'm sorry that I hurt you." He said and I felt slightly better. I still had a bad a feeling. I couldn't explain it.