Chapter 13

The next few days getting accustomed to not having Lucy was strange. Going back to school I noticed looks from a couple different people. I was used to looks, but this time it just felt strange. Usual I got looks from having Lucy, now I'm getting them for not having her. Interesting turn around. Getting back into the groove of school was hard. I didn't really focus, there were still too many thoughts swirling around my mind. Currently I was sitting in English just staring at the board, having no idea what was going on. My teacher, I think was going on and talking about SATs and he was going to give us a practice test. I didn't even think about SATs yet, but I knew they were coming up. Sooner than I expected. Like this weekend.

I dreaded hearing about them, but I didn't feel too bad because Luke was taking the same day. So at least he was going to have the same torture as me. Well maybe not, considering his ten times smarter than I am. I snuck a peek at my phone and checked my messages. There was just one from Luke telling me he'd meet me at his car after school. He was going to help catch up on some school work. I sent him a quick text back and pretended I was paying attention the rest of class.

The rest of the day seemed to drag on forever, but eventually it ended and I was glad for that. I walked into the parking lot and looked for Luke's car. It was parked toward the back of the lot. I beat him there, and I just sat on the hood of his car. I pulled out my phone and scrolled through Instagram. As I was scrolling I came across a picture of Layla and Luke, holding a promposal sign. The sign said, "Let's Taco about prom," and Layla was holding a big bag from taco bell. I had to admit it was cute, but I still didn't like Layla. I completely forgot that prom existed. I definitely would not be going. I looked down the other end of the parking lot and I could see Luke in the distance, standing with Layla. She was holding the sign and the bag of tacos.

I sat and realized, that I was so out of touch, and I had no idea what was going on anymore. I didn't even know that Luke was considering prom or anything. I felt like this wall had been built between myself and the world, and I wasn't really sure how to knock it down. I lifted my legs and rested my hands on my knees. Everyone was moving on, and I felt like I was just stuck in a rut. I was lost, not that I wanted to admit that, but I was. Thinking about it made my stomach sick. If I could've cried, I felt like I would've, but I didn't think I had any tears left.

"Hey," I heard a familiar voice said and I looked up. Luke was standing in front of me, holding hands with none of than Layla. He had to bring her over here. I just ignored it and answered. "Hi." I unfolded myself and jumped off the hood of the car.

"You alright?" He asked me and I nodded. "Yup." Then stood by the car door. He pulled out his keys and unlocked it and I sat in the seat. I watched as Luke and Layla said a couple things to each other then he kissed her. I thought I was going to throw up. I looked away and waited for Luke to get in the car. Once he did he started it up and sat for a minute. "Are you sure you're okay? You don't seem it." He said and I felt his eyes on me.

"I'm fine." I told him and looked out the window.

"Alright. Fine." He said then drove to his house. The car ride was silent, not that I had much to say. I didn't even feel like doing anything, but I knew that I had to do my work, and Luke would help. Once we got to his house we went straight into his living room and started working. I pulled out my math homework because I knew that was going to be the worst. I took one look at it and then placed it down. "Well that's great." I said and groaned.

"What?" He said and looked at me. "I don't know anything of this," I said and then laughed. "Great." I pulled my ponytail tighter and sighed.

"Good thing your best friend is amazing at math," he told me and I rolled my eyes.

"Yes good thing." I told him. The next ten minutes I sat there as he tried to explain trigonometry to me. I attempted the problems and I was actually understanding. Luke would be a good teacher one day. He knew how to explain things. Sometimes certain teachers just didn't have the right approach, but I guess you couldn't please everybody.